'Budget' rackmount/server rig questions
Question 
Hi,

I'm new to the forums, so go easy on me! I'm a big fan of Hashcat and I am looking at taking things to the next level.

I am currently looking to build a password cracking rig that can be used as a demo/training/R&D machine, which means that my requirements are enterprise/business level: 24/7 uptime; multiple users queuing jobs on the server; headless; rackmount available as an option (but can be freestanding for this first demo unit); must play nicely in a server rack with other machines.

Budget is approx £5000 (~$6500), I will be installing all components myself so labour is not a problem.

Currently basing my shopping off of this: http://www.netmux.com/blog/how-to-build-...acking-rig

Looking at 4 x GTX 1070 FE for budget purposes. As this is a demo unit, subsequent builds could use more powerful hardware (1080 etc.) so ideally case/mobo should support this. I can currently source the 1070s at £400 each.

May also be able to fit additional GPUs down the line to increase performance, so would appreciate suggestions for 6-8 GPU cases too.

If I have 4 x GTX 1070 8GB, so 32GB VRAM total, how much RAM do I need? I saw a post saying double your VRAM is a good rule of thumb.

Also, how frugal can I be with the CPU? My use of manipulating wordlists and using rules is fairly limited, but is something I need to start looking at due to the slow speeds of some of the hashes I am cracking. Do I need 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620 2.4 GHz or can I make do with less? 2 x 1.7GHz Xeon instead?

Apologies if this is all a bit vague, it's early days for this project for me but thought I'd get advice from the experts first! I'm happy to provide some more info about my requirements if necessary!

Thanks Smile

EDIT: Just to note: I have been looking at Sagitta and other system manufacturers, but wanted to get a well-rounded view of the market!

Messages In This Thread
'Budget' rackmount/server rig questions - by GrepItAll - 07-20-2017, 03:18 PM