Speed of crack for WPA/WPA2 hash
For WPA/WPA2 hash crack, There are three major types of attacks (Dictionary & Rule-based  & Mask) attacks.

I was testing what is the fastest attack and i found out that the Dictionary is the slowest one then the other two types. The Rule-based  and Mask attack gave me nearly the same speed.

Is it true that the Mask attack is faster than the the dictionary attack ?

1- My first question is that i understand for mask attack , that the passwords are generated to by the CPU , then it is copied via the PCI express to the GPU, then the GPU start working on the hashcrack. is this correct ? i give example below to the command i use to performe mask attack

hashcat -m 2500 hash.hccapx -a3 -?d?d?d?d?d?d?d?d -w3

So if this is correct why mask attack is much faster than dictionary attack, although both copy the data from CPU to GPU through the PCI express ? in my testing i found out that always the mask attach is faster than dictionary attack.

2- I think that the fastest attack is the Rule-based, because it modify the wordlist inside the GPU so copying is no longer need from CPU to GPU. but to my surprise that i found that some times the mask attack is faster than the Rule-based attack, although the mask attack should be slower because it copy the generated words from CPU to GPU which takes alot of time... i though that Rule-based attack should be faster because all the work is done inside the GPU in terms of modifying the wordlist to many other words.

3-Does the wordlist size have effect on the GPU cracking speed incase of Dictionary attack ? or Rule-based attack? or mask attack ? i think that the bigger size of the wordlist , the more GPU faster speed the rule-based attack will be .. is this correct ? i also noticed that the crack speed decrease incase of bigger size of wordlist for the dictionary attack ? so it is opposite to Rule attack in this case.... and also what about mask attack, does the longer size of mask attack cause speed difference?

4-If we are going to make a sorting from fastest to slowest methods for cracking WPA, would it be 

1- Rule based attack
2- Mask based attack
3-Diectionary attack ?

Thank you.

Michael Robert

Messages In This Thread
Speed of crack for WPA/WPA2 hash - by roundcube222 - 09-01-2017, 05:48 PM
RE: Speed of crack for WPA/WPA2 hash - by philsmd - 09-02-2017, 08:40 AM
RE: Speed of crack for WPA/WPA2 hash - by undeath - 09-02-2017, 08:59 PM
RE: Speed of crack for WPA/WPA2 hash - by undeath - 09-03-2017, 05:15 PM
RE: Speed of crack for WPA/WPA2 hash - by philsmd - 09-03-2017, 07:33 PM