7Zip Hash, missing SALT? (Salt-value exception)
(03-19-2018, 07:49 PM)philsmd Wrote: Well, it's difficult for us/me to guess what is wrong with your hash.

You probably have 3 options:
1. try to modify your hash in a way that it looks like the example hash and see where the problem could be by obverving the behaviour of hashcat (when does it fail, when does it work?)
2. try to generate further 7zip files and test when they work and when exactly they fail loading
3. ask somebody that you trust via PM if s/he can help you to figure out what the problem could be with that hash (you are not allowed to post hashes on the forum as you might already know)

I've compared my hash vs the sample hash, and another users hash, which I stumbled upon online. They all seem similar as far as structure goes, the only main difference is that my hash is massive in comparison. Where the Sample hash is 1kb, mine is over 200kb.

They both consist of 13 segments of $[data], where as my 11th segment contains an immense amount of data. Which from my understanding is:
Code:
$[encrypted data] the encrypted data itself (this field in some cases could be truncated, see below)

For the record, my 7z file is approx 250mb, not sure if that make's a difference to the size of the hash file.

I have no issues in sending my hash file to anyone who's willing to take a look at it for errors. But, as stated, I won't post it publicly

[Update]

Ok, so playing with my hash file, it seems that I can get it to work by changing a single character.

At the beginning of my hash file is:

Code:
$7z$1$19$0$$8$9a82...
-----^

If I simply change the $1 to a $0, then hashcat works:

Code:
$7z$0$19$0$$8$9a82...
-----^

My only concern is, what impact would this have on my hash file? Apparently this digit is:

Code:
$[data type indicator] -  number ranging from 0 to 255 to indicate truncation and compression (see below)

Messages In This Thread
RE: 7Zip Hash, missing SALT? (Salt-value exception) - by level42 - 03-19-2018, 08:08 PM