Buying a new machine for Hashcat
I would like to thank everyone for this great community. I've been reading a lot on the forum and there's so much useful information. Since I want to build a machine for Hashcat only, I would like to ask if I'm doing it correctly.

I'm working as a pentester which, few times a month, finds a hashed password like NTLM, IPMI etc. Since we know say to customers "It can be cracked with the right hardware and time" we want to say "This is the plain-text password".

Because of this I want to build a rig with Hashview which will be made "public" to our company. Since this is a prove of concept to see if everything is working, I want to build a rig which can be expanded in the future.

For now I'm looking for a single GPU based rig and was looking at the following hardware:

- NVIDIA GTX1080 TiĀ Founders Edition
- ASUS Rampage Extreme IV
- Intel i7 3820
- Corsair HX1200 V2

The i7 is maybe overkill, but I can get it for a good price including the Rampage mainboard. The 1200WATT PSU is for future expansion (max 4x GTX1080TI Founders Edition). The Rampage Extreme IV can hold 4x 16 PCI-e max.

I'm not sure about memory, but I guess the speed doesn't matter that much unless it's matched to the CPU? I guess 16GB will do?

What do you guys think? I've also read that NVIDIA will come with a new GPU, but I can't wait for this. Even if it's released the miners will probably make it hard to get.

Messages In This Thread
Buying a new machine for Hashcat - by squ1zzy - 04-08-2018, 11:06 AM
RE: Buying a new machine for Hashcat - by undeath - 04-08-2018, 03:45 PM
RE: Buying a new machine for Hashcat - by squ1zzy - 04-08-2018, 04:18 PM