Can't get it to crack known hashes
I think your basing those two statements on nothing.. Both sql server and oracle have a nchar and nvarchar(2) which are both unicode data types which are both widely used at every company I've consulted for. .Net's algorithm is written by Microsoft which is clearly not the same group who wrote the linux version. So yes there could be a small or even large difference between the code bases.

And drum roll... I just found the answer. I was using a class called HMACSHA1 to generate the hashes. I found another SHA-1 class called SHA1Managed which DOES produce the the same exact string your linux box is spitting out and it is in UTF-8. So the bottom line is that Hashcat knows nothing about HMACSHA1 yet.

Whoever owns this codebase may want to head over to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...raphy.aspx and check out the various .Net cryptography classes. It would be great if hashcat handled the various hashing methods out of the box.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can't get it to crack known hashes - by chort - 01-19-2012, 05:21 AM
RE: Can't get it to crack known hashes - by atom - 01-19-2012, 07:25 AM
RE: Can't get it to crack known hashes - by atom - 01-19-2012, 06:40 PM
RE: Can't get it to crack known hashes - by atom - 01-19-2012, 10:15 PM
RE: Can't get it to crack known hashes - by strandedpirate - 01-19-2012, 11:01 PM
RE: Can't get it to crack known hashes - by atom - 01-20-2012, 12:06 AM