Brain server can't write above 4GB
(05-30-2020, 05:28 PM)philsmd Wrote: I guess a developer or at least somebody able to debug the src/brain.c code would need to try to troubleshoot, repdroduce and try to fix this problem.
Are you sure the disk isn't busy writting ?

I had it sitting for almost 12 hours before I noticed it wasn't running. And also could see that the filesize of the ldmp updated from almost 4GB to a few MBs and stayed at that size.

(05-30-2020, 05:28 PM)philsmd Wrote: Why should it be stuck ? Is it not reacting/writing anymore after that last write operation ?

It's doing something. It's taking up one full core on my CPU running, but there is no disk activity. Ctrl-C does tell me "Brain server stopping", but it never exits. And CPU activity stays at 100% on one core.
I guess you could say it never completes the write command, as the on-screen log never makes note of it

(05-30-2020, 05:28 PM)philsmd Wrote: [...]
It would also be great if somebody double-checks with linux to see if this is a windows-only problem. Could you try to test that ?

I have a linux box. I will see if I can figure out to get the brain server running on that. If someone else has a working setup and the time/inclination to give a test, it would be appreciated. 

(05-30-2020, 05:28 PM)philsmd Wrote: BTW: I know that you are just testing something and trying to proof that something is not working perfectly fine... but I just want to emphasize for the random readers here that the brain feature was never designed to be used with fast hashes that could generate GB of data very fast... it's much better suited for hash types like bcrypt/scrypt (I know you are aware of this, but other users might not understand this immediately)

I see what you are saying and will note that I use it only for slower hashes and/or large lists of salted hashes. The -m 0 was just to speed things up when trying to reach 4GB file size of the database. Which reminds me, 5.1.0 took about 6 hours to reach that goal. The beta versions got there in less than 20 minutes, so future testing on my part will be done on the beta versions Smile

Messages In This Thread
Brain server can't write above 4GB - by illyria - 05-29-2020, 06:52 PM
RE: Brain server can't write above 4GB - by illyria - 05-30-2020, 07:03 PM