Question about --force option and CUDA Toolkit SDK
Hi all on the community!
First i want to say thanks to hashcat team for this great tool!

This si my first post, I usually try to solve the problems by my own but at this point i think i need a bit of help!

I'm a hashcat user since not long time time and i have been reading the forum regarding some things i'm interested on.
I have successfully developed a kernel and i have used it against my own made hashes and it is working good (thanks to the new developer guide which ponit me on right direction after some days of tests and frustration).

With hashcat 5.1.0 i have been using the --force switch because HC is showing me the following error:

* Device #X: Outdated or broken NVIDIA driver '442.23' detected!

I have read that using --force option is not good but i don't understand exactly why (it is because we are forcing hashcat to disable some important warnings?). I have tested my kernel against some hahes (allways using hashcat 5.1.0 and --force switch) and i know that is working properly so, there is any issue using the --force option?

Just to clarify, the mentioned error is happening with all the modes not only with the kernel i have created.

As you can see, my nvidia driver version is 442.23.

I have also tried my kernel with the new HC 6.0.0 and it is working fine and no need to use the --force option.

As my system is running on windows 10 and my nvidia driver is up to date (i have the latest one released by the manufacturer), i don't want to try installing a new driver and break it.

So, my first question is: if i continue using HC 5.1.0 should i have to fix the driver issue or can i continue running it
with the --force switch without any harm?

I have read the wrong driver guide but i'm not sure what to do because, as i have previously said, i have the latest driver and i'm not sure that installing another one can fix the problem or cause another worst one...

My second question is about the CUDA TOOLKIT SDK.

I have installed some CUDA toolkit versions to test with (version 10.0, 10.2 and the latest one 11.0 RC) and i can't make HC to work with the SDK (i have always only install the sdk and tools, never the driver).

I have tried using HC 5.1.0 and also the latest 6.0.0 sources but nothing, i'm allways receiving the message:

* Device #X: CUDA SDK Toolkit installation NOT detected.
                   CUDA SDK Toolkit installation required for proper device support and utilization
                   Falling back to OpenCL Runtime

I would like to test my kernel using CUDA instead OpenCL.

On my debugs (on hashcat 6.0.0) i have seen that the hc_dlopen() function is not able to load the nvrtc.dll on nvrtc_init() nither to load the nvcuda.dll on the cuda_init() function.
To be precise the nvrtc.dll in my case is nvrtc64_%d%d_0.dll (and the name depends on CUDA version, for instance for version 10.0 the name is nvrtc64_100_0.dll0.
To be sure I have tried to point straight to the dll's on my system but the hc_dlopen() is not able to load any of them.

I have compiled the sources using Cygwin64 and ran it under vscode to do debug it.

On the other hand I have ran the "deviceQuery" program example (CUDA SDK sample app) and it is working fine so, at first sight it seems that there is no issue with the sdk (also I have tested another cuda toolkit example programs and all of them are working fine).

Does any one have some idea which could be the issue and how to solve it?
Has anyone had this kind of error under windows and was able to fix it?

Many thanks and BR.

Messages In This Thread
Question about --force option and CUDA Toolkit SDK - by TheAleph - 06-28-2020, 07:11 AM