AesCrypt hash: How to obtain iv, enc_iv, enc_key, HMAC and encrypttion
Hi,

With the use of perl aescrypt_hello_world.pl rockyou.txt after searching in the forum, I can’t find anything discussing in depth or how to obtain these important criteria (iv, enc_iv, enc_key, HMAC) even after examining the info on aescrypt.com/aes_file_format.html , it’s no help or even after googling there’s no info on these terms/criteria.  There is some discussion here: https://github.com/hashcat/hashcat/pull/2285 but it is still unclear on how to obtain these criteria to paste them in aescrypt2hashcat.pl and then of course run with perl.

[Apologies if this is considered a new topic]
After attempting to run aescrypt2hashcat.pl in perl, I get an ERROR message: "The file doesn't seem to be a correct aescrypt file".  How does the script know this if the file is encrypted?  And if the file ends with the extension .aes why does the script "think" it's not an AES Crypt file?  Here's another important question... if one was to originally save (2016) an AES Crypt file in the form of file.aes on a USB thumb drive and then later copied the file to a laptop hard drive, does AES Crypt "mess up", change, or scramble the file with the transfer?  If so, then you can only run all the cracking attempts pointed at the USB drive, right?  When you open a aes file using notepad, does the encryption look like hieroglyphics mixed in with the gist of the file looking something like this: ʇÎzcÖ Ïcäq(1²Å¼½âÙöiS7óöñ¦¤yŸø@C†æ as an example?(not sure what an aes encrypted file is supposed to look like)  I'm trying to figure out if this is a properly encrypted aes file or corrupted or something else?  If this helps, when the file is opened with AES Crypt, here's what is shown: 
.png   pass.png (Size: 4.39 KB / Downloads: 7)  and the error message when entering the incorrect password is: 
.png   error.png (Size: 24.58 KB / Downloads: 8) .  

Chuck

Messages In This Thread
AesCrypt hash: How to obtain iv, enc_iv, enc_key, HMAC and encrypttion - by fatcat - 07-07-2020, 07:25 PM