July 2020 5k Budget Multi GPU Build
Hello community,

After years of pitching, I have finally secured a modest budget (5K) to build a hashcat rig for my internal security team to audit with.  

I am dying to get started but all the hardware specs I'd originally put together based on various publicly discussed builds are way, way out of date, and it seems the field has grown even more confused since then.

Rather than spending another three months digging around the interwebs talking to burnt out coinheads and zealot gamers, I figured I'd go straight to the source and look here.  I've found some great info in this forum and also some concerning gotchas that have me questioning some of my original assumptions, so maybe I should just start from scratch.

If you had 5K to spend building a haschcat rig, what exactly would you put together? MB/CPU/GPUs/Cooling?

For GPU's - My instinct was to spend half the budget on 2X NVIDIA GTX 2080 TI Founder's Edition cards.  That seems like it would still get me benchmark results as good as the 4 cards I was considering when I first put together this proposal, and for less total power consumption/noise.. but reading around here, lately those may have fallen out of favor for cooling reasons?

CPU / Motherboard combo.  Intel/AMD Xenon, dual procs?  I'm game for anything that gets me in under budget, it would be a slight bonus if the machine could also have utility in a lab scenario when it is not cracking.  And to be fair I don't expect to be pushing it for more than 48 or 72 hours at a time if that factors into anyone's thinking.

Any guidance would be appreciated.  Any known exact build with decent performance would be a godsend.

Thanks!

Alias

Messages In This Thread
July 2020 5k Budget Multi GPU Build - by Alias Pseudonym - 07-18-2020, 06:35 AM