8 GPUs vs two 4 GPUs with hashtopolis
(12-15-2020, 07:47 PM)nsweaney Wrote: There aren't a lot of options with both a blower-style fan and a front air intake. 

This is pretty much the biggest problem I am also seeing in the current state of the Hardware market. You either have to go for last or even last-last gen cards to get a good cooling design or you have to come up with some other solution.

One of them is water cooling, which I don't have any experience with, but it is used by the folks of Decryptum / Comino (although I don't like their rig layout with 12 GPUs smashed into a system with just a 10900K and 64 GB of RAM). 

The other one, which works for us at least, is actually a setup with axial coolers. I know that this is absolutely not optimal and I would have loved some blower styles instead. However, the system we have is running 4x 2080 Ti FE cards in a Nanoxia Hydra II 6U GPU case. We put in 6x Enermax D.F. Storm Fans and used Thermaltake Riser Cables to get it working. It turns out, that it works really well, if you close the side openings of the case with duct tape or something similar and set the fan speed of the GPUs to 90% flat. Temperatures of the cards are never above 75C, but it has to be mentioned that the system is located in an air-conditioned room, that never goes over 18C.

Now, this opens the option to use axial fan GPUs, but unfortunately the case seems pretty much unavailable by now. Also using ribbon-style riser cables is kinda messy, even in a 6U case. I would love to see how these risers from Comino work (https://comino.com/en/risers/) which were 100 bucks before.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 8 GPUs vs two 4 GPUs with hashtopolis - by NoReply - 12-15-2020, 09:24 PM