I think I found a small bug
I see the technical problem now... it is an interesting one.

The work-around with the -a 6 works for the phone number example. But what if I have a rule file configured to try common things like street address, zip, last 4 of phone number vs root words that happen to be under 8 chars long?

Running the rule and dictionary though hashcat --stdout to dump to a file, takes a shockingly long amount of time. (not sure why this is). I've found a program called Mentalist that does it quicker, but it is still wasteful. In some examples, what would be about 3MB of dictionary + rule file, turns into 44GB when rendered to a full mask. Hardly efficient!

Example: WPA password is pass123!

Within my dictionary, mixed with a million other words, is the word 'pass'. A rule adds digits and another rule adds symbols. This setup would be rejected by hashcat and never tried against the hash, despite the fact that it is the valid password. Rendering the whole thing into a mask attack would yield a 30GB file and would in itself take a few hours to my SSDs. Whereas the root dictionary file and the rules take up maybe 100MB.

Is there a way to force hashcat to ignore the rejection, apply the password and run the password anyway? That could be a workaround. I tried it with a --force, but that didn't work. It seems like a noteworthy problem that ought to have a solution better than 'create a full mask'.

Messages In This Thread
I think I found a small bug - by Tyson0317 - 02-01-2021, 06:34 AM
RE: I think I found a small bug - by Chick3nman - 02-01-2021, 06:52 AM
RE: I think I found a small bug - by vicious1 - 02-01-2021, 06:54 AM
RE: I think I found a small bug - by Tyson0317 - 02-01-2021, 09:44 AM
RE: I think I found a small bug - by philsmd - 02-01-2021, 11:33 AM
RE: I think I found a small bug - by Tyson0317 - 02-01-2021, 07:01 PM