Cracking encrypted veracrypt partition from windows laptop
Okay here is my test:

setup:
clean usb stick formatted with one ntfs partition
using veracrypt to create and formate this volume (standard procedure)
large files yes -> EXFAT

extracted sector 1 from "usbdisk und partiton" from my usb stick (sdb)

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=disk bs=512 count=1
sudo dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=part bs=512 count=1

in this binary data from disk you can read "Invalid partition table Error loading operating system Missing operating system" and hc faild to attack it because it is not what hc expected to find, part is cracking as expected and i can recover my password with mode 13722

so for basic encryption of partitions yeah, mode 13722 is right

back to your system drive encrpytion, as i mentioned above, the standard procedure tells in the second? screen, that veracrypt dont use the bootloader option by default and only encrypts the partition where windows resides, i dont have the possibility right now, to test, whats really going on there, but a fast test with vmware shows, of course veracrypt is using his bootloader but as also mentioned it seems it doesnt encrypt the whole disk but only the windows partition itself, when you open up veracrypt after boot, you will see, that C: is shown as you would see any other mounted veracrypt partion like the usb stick and therefore it seems 13722 is also right for that style of encryption

i couldnt test the whole drive encrytion yet, because veracrypt seems to block it within this vm, see attached picture

Attached Files
.png   no-whole-drive.PNG (Size: 276.44 KB / Downloads: 5)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cracking encrypted veracrypt partition from windows laptop - by Snoopy - 01-07-2022, 05:35 PM