Seeking Advice for VeraCrypt Password Recovery
(06-21-2023, 01:27 AM)slyexe Wrote: If you are unsure of your progress, it is always smart to create a replication of the hash you're attempting to crack with a KNOWN password. That way you can make sure you are extracting the hash correctly and hardware is working correctly without any issues.

Otherwise, have to keep altering your wordlist until the proper result is found!

That's certainly a valuable tip! I duplicated a test hash successfully, but my local PC can't seem to crack Whirlpool. So, it's definitely worthwhile to validate if everything operates correctly before investing hundreds of dollars into a cloud GPU. Hashcat's self-test is beneficial too, but if you truly want to ensure everything is functioning properly, self-testing is the best approach.

I'm sure my password is within the list. I suspect it may have an XTS larger than 512 bit. However, Streebog or Whirlpool with high PIM and a 1536 bit XTS? Wow, that could potentially cost $500-600 to crack within a reasonable time frame, say 1-2 days. Renting 8-12 RTX 4090s is the maximum I can manage on Vast.ai, and that charges $5-10 per hour.

I will update my progress, but this could take weeks or months, or just 1 day. No one really knows.

If I can't crack the hash, it's no problem. It's not as if I have 1,000,000 USD in Bitcoin on it or something like that. At least, I verified VeraCrypt is really secure Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seeking Advice for VeraCrypt Password Recovery - by Rannek - 06-21-2023, 12:09 PM