Slow Left Mask or Dict
Thanks atom. What are the possible scenarios where there will be a speed lag?

For instance, I am running the following attack:

Combination Attack with the left dict (size 35 Mb) and right dict (size 830 Mb). Now, even though the size of right dict is way too big as compared to left dict, but the size of left dict isn't too small either.

So, I want to know which scenarios do we say there is "not enough work for the left mask"?

Is it when sizeof(right dict or mask) is way too big as compared to sizeof(left dict or mask)

or is it when both sizeof(right dict or mask) and sizeof(left dict or mask) is too small

or is it when sizeof(right dict or mask) is sufficiently large but the sizeof(left dict or mask) is too small, which is the case we discussed above.

Isn't it possible for the idle mini processors to get a workload if they are free? If the workload distribution is even among multiple GPU cores, then why would we have idle cores?

Please correct me if I am wrong, I am interested to learn more about the GPU architecture as well Smile

A quick update. I just tried to split the big right dictionary into smaller dictionaries using the splitlen utility from the hashcat-utils suite and it improves the performance.

I am still testing it as the size of the split dictionaries are variable.

My guess is that when the size of the left and right dictionaries are comparable and also considerably large, we get the best performance from the GPU.

However, understanding from the GPU architecture perspective would be interesting indeed.

Messages In This Thread
Slow Left Mask or Dict - by NeonFlash - 06-11-2012, 01:35 PM
RE: Slow Left Mask or Dict - by M@LIK - 06-11-2012, 01:53 PM
RE: Slow Left Mask or Dict - by fizikalac - 06-11-2012, 01:59 PM
RE: Slow Left Mask or Dict - by NeonFlash - 06-11-2012, 02:18 PM
RE: Slow Left Mask or Dict - by atom - 06-11-2012, 03:02 PM
RE: Slow Left Mask or Dict - by fizikalac - 06-11-2012, 03:11 PM
RE: Slow Left Mask or Dict - by atom - 06-11-2012, 03:38 PM
RE: Slow Left Mask or Dict - by NeonFlash - 06-11-2012, 05:17 PM