Is it 'safe' to upgrade Ubuntu Server with hashcat?
First, I want to say thank you to whoever authored the tutorial on building a headless Ubuntu 12.04.1 server here:
http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linux_server_howto

That was almost exactly what I wanted to do (I would have preferred CentOS but I can suffer through Ubuntu).

I followed it and everything worked perfectly. I started out previously with a regular Ubuntu Desktop install (headless) but wrangling X and the default compiz install was a royal pain. A lot of bloat.

I now have a question about updating the Ubuntu Server installation. I understand that updating the Linux kernel will require me to reinstall the Catalyst drivers. Are there other 'hazards' associated with pulling apt-get updates? I thought I read on here somewhere that you should not use the newer Linux kernels; I wasn't clear on whether that was talking about beta stuff or newer production kernels. I use this particular machine for nothing other than hashcat experimentation and I currently only have AMD GPUs. It is connected to my network but the only traffic flowing to the Internet is whatever Ubuntu is doing autonomously.

I guess I'd like to confirm/learn the following:

1. Will updating the Ubuntu kernel require me to do anything special other than simply re-running the Catalyst install script?
2. Are there any package updates I should NEVER install or update? Or can I simply do an apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade and let it roll?

I'm just trying to avoid doing something that is irreversible or would require a lot of effort to undo. I'm happy to NOT update anything if that is the best option.

Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
Is it 'safe' to upgrade Ubuntu Server with hashcat? - by baglock - 01-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Seg faulting after update - by baglock - 02-10-2013, 05:34 AM