Best Configuration for optimal cracking
Hi All,

This si my first post, so aplologies if the question is too trivial. I have been asked to evaluate OCLHashcat plus for cracking wifi passwords. The layman requirement would probably be to run a brute force attack against possible password combinations. I would like to evaluate against passwords of varying strength of length >8 and < 32.

My question is what would be an optimal configuration? I would like to sue a GPU cluster, but the question then again is which make and how many? Is it better to use say 2 GPUs of a much better make (and more expensive) as compared to say 10 cheaper GPUs? Has anybody tested it on a larger scale (say > 8 GPUs) and what has been the experience?

I know a faster cracking would mean an expensive setup. I have some sort of a grant and I think budget should not be a big issue (within reasonable limit, I wont want a budget of USD100K!!). Is there a possibility of a decent config which can help me crack passwords (8 to 32 chars) in less than say 6 hours??? SOmething like-

http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/12/...n-6-hours/

Sorry for too many questions but I would like a good starting point so as to plan it out.

Thanks
Mac

Messages In This Thread
Best Configuration for optimal cracking - by macdonald - 08-26-2013, 09:53 AM