Hashcat vs OclHashcat - Netntlm v1
(10-07-2013, 08:06 AM)mailmuncher2000 Wrote: But not for the problem of password cracking? Correct?

i am talking exclusively about password cracking. there are plenty of cases, when cracking passwords, where cpu very well may be faster.

(10-07-2013, 08:06 AM)mailmuncher2000 Wrote: Maybe I am naive but I don't believe the capability of the GPU/CPU is the reason for such a huge difference in speed here.

you very well may be naive. you haven't really given us a whole lot of well-presented data for us to to figure out what the precise reasons are, but you need to remember that you actually have to give gpus work to do. if you give them a small amount of work, you will not achieve full acceleration. 100MB of words is not a lot of work for fast algorithms, you will not achieve full acceleration. if you provide more work for the right side than the left side, then you will not achieve full acceleration. if you are memory-bound, then you will not achieve full acceleration. i can't say it enough: gpus aren't magic. you have to optimize your attacks in order to use gpus efficiently. and in some cases, gpus are simply the wrong choice.

(10-07-2013, 08:06 AM)mailmuncher2000 Wrote: I was wondering if the same optimization has been done for oclhashcat.

of course it has.

EDIT: oh, one other thing you need to realize as well is that brute force with cpu hashcat is always going to underperform due to the way generated candidates are fed to the worker threads. cpu hashcat is best suited for wordlist-based attacks.

i really think that your biggest problem is misunderstanding your tools... what their strengths/weaknesses are, when to use which, how to maximize their efficiency...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hashcat vs OclHashcat - Netntlm v1 - by epixoip - 10-07-2013, 08:26 AM