A Radeon HD 6990 for hash cracking. Good or bad idea?
(02-15-2015, 12:22 AM)Flomac Wrote: The temp limit is verly low with 75°C, the card will overheat under heavy load like Hashcat, start throttling and all the theoretical power is gone. Except the cooling is WAY better then standard.

Thank you for that, haven't been aware of such ultra low critical temperature.

I guess that would take some research why it is so, and probably the BIOS modification would be needed here - what obviously could lead to problems with RMA and bricked card in the end.

Plus, I'm bothered about the extra investments in power supply and electricity bills - I guess that it is important if we are building something near 24/7 or rather from time to time password cracker.

Regarding the 7970 - I guess it can be only accepted as an option if you have somehow soundproof room in which the machine will operate. I had 7970 (with some kind of "ultra silent" non reference cooler) and it was hard to sleep in the room behind the wall when I did computing on it :-)

Not exactly sure why we talk only ATI/AMD - what would you guys say about the nVidia propositions, like 970 or even a 750Ti?

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Radeon HD 6990 for hash cracking. Good or bad idea? - by 10fi - 02-15-2015, 11:44 AM