oclHashcat benchmark with Apple CPU + GPU
(02-25-2016, 06:02 AM)epixoip Wrote: For the price of that expansion chassis, you could build a complete 4-GPU server. And using that expander means your laptop is no longer mobile, you're tied to your desk. And you have to have all those GPUs sitting on your desk right beside you.

What the vast majority of us do is rack up a server somewhere and access it from your laptop over SSH anywhere in the world. That way you retain your mobility and you've isolated all that noise & heat away from you.

epixoip, my configuration is far from optimal; I'm just tickled pink it's running on the mac and am interested in seeing what it can do.  Yes ultimately this stuff will be running in a rack or data center somewhere.  I'll post some benchmarks soon.  Currently I'm running:

- mac pro 6,1
- quad core 3.7GHz Xeon
- 32GB RAM
- dual D700s

I will add a Thunderbolt expansion chassis with 4 GPUs (GTX 970s at a minimum, maybe Titans) and post results here - hopefully it works.

[edit] This is all to see what a hobbyist can do on the Macintosh platform with Thunderbolt expansion - might try and push it further with multiple chassis.

Messages In This Thread
RE: oclHashcat benchmark with Apple CPU + GPU - by Arch Stanton - 03-05-2016, 08:56 AM