Thoughts on Pascal?
(02-15-2016, 04:44 AM)epixoip Wrote: No actual technical specs have been released for Pascal, just various sound bites, so everything out there is just rumor and speculation and we really have no idea how much faster Pascal might be. You're correct, hash algorithms are exclusively integer math, so an increase in floating point performance doesn't really mean much if anything. Historically speaking, we should expect a 20-35% increase in performance. I would be surprised if it is more than 40% faster.

The Titan X will not drop in price when Pascal is released, just like the Titan and Titan Z have not dropped in price.

A release date hasn't even been announced for Pascal, so I don't see a point in waiting.

Thanks epixoip.  I appreciate the feedback (and the reality check).  You're absolutely right... the rumor mill is in full swing.   If the news is correct, 4 variants just shipped from TSMC to India for testing.  My guess is that Nvidia wants the results in time to support an April announcement at the GPU conf.  If past timelines hold true, we would expect first shipments 5-9 months from the announcement...given this is a significantly new design, my money would be on 9 months.  In other words, a long time to wait.

I hadn't pulled historical price data on cards... it just seemed a good assumption that there would be a significant drop in old tech price on the launch of a new technology; but boy, was I wrong... (yes, I know... do my homework next time!...lesson learned.)... it is shocking how little Nvidia pricing varies (the only slight dip was on the 980 when the 980Ti launched) (source: https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/vi...tx-titan-x).  I'm not sure I understand the reasons for the relative price stability, but the stats are the stats. I need to check used pricing in my local market (I'm not in the US). If my current cards hold up well, I may just buy lesser cards to keep me running and then resell them once there's data to support (or not support) moving to Pascal. 

One thing is for sure... I need more speed than I'm getting now and I need to figure out how to get it without breaking the bank!

Thanks again for the advice.

Messages In This Thread
Thoughts on Pascal? - by Betawave - 02-15-2016, 02:53 AM
RE: Thoughts on Pascal? - by epixoip - 02-15-2016, 04:44 AM
RE: Thoughts on Pascal? - by Betawave - 02-15-2016, 07:29 AM
RE: Thoughts on Pascal? - by pay - 02-15-2016, 11:55 AM
RE: Thoughts on Pascal? - by Flomac - 02-15-2016, 02:34 PM
RE: Thoughts on Pascal? - by Rolf - 02-15-2016, 11:54 AM
RE: Thoughts on Pascal? - by Rolf - 02-15-2016, 12:11 PM
RE: Thoughts on Pascal? - by Rolf - 02-16-2016, 01:28 PM
RE: Thoughts on Pascal? - by Flomac - 03-12-2016, 02:15 AM
RE: Thoughts on Pascal? - by pay - 03-13-2016, 12:28 AM