any guide installing cuda/nvidia on linux?
philsmd:

I don't want to hijack this thread, however you mentioned installing nvidia drivers from the nvidia.com site so figured I would add my successes and failures.

I've installed the nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com site and it does work, however, I cannot change screen resolutions after installation. Seems locked a lower resolution.  No selections for higher resolutions.  I assume it is something with the xorg.conf file.   I've tried adding resolutions to it with recommendations from others having similar problems however the new resolutions are not recognized. You mentioned having to uninstall a few things and clean up the system.  I'm not sure what those "few things" might be.  I'm running debian 8.3 on my linux box and oclhashcat 2.01 with two geforce GTX 960s.  I'm no expert on linux by any means.  What I've learned so far is by reading and hints from others on the web.  So as to not completely trash my linux system, I make a backup of the linux installation partition and am able to restore it when my system fails to boot to a screen as the other poster experienced.  This alleviates the need to do a complete install again. 
/r
j

(03-08-2016, 10:17 AM)philsmd Wrote: The answer is just to *not* install anything "cuda"-related at all and do not install anything from you packet manager (because it will be outdated and probably not working).
The only thing you need to do is to install the damn nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com as recommended on https://hashcat.net/
(btw: this is also true for AMD, but for AMD the URL is support.amd.com)

Now you might already have to uninstall a few things and clean the system, before you proceed to the only needed step and install the recommended driver from the vendor site.

Messages In This Thread
RE: any guide installing cuda/nvidia on linux? - by Jiminy - 03-08-2016, 04:58 PM