need help with markov chain, or possibly another solution for decrypt of AES-256
(05-27-2017, 01:04 PM)atom Wrote: If the keyspace is just 2^32 it would be easy to crack the key if you know the plaintext. The keyspace is so small, you wouldn't even need to do it on GPU, you can do it on CPU.

I appreciate the reply. Excuse any improper terminology since I'm pretty new to the decryption community, but hashcat seems to be the most powerful tool out there and I've used it to decrypt LUKs volumes with great success. (whoops, excuse me undeath, automatically find the hash and produce the password so that I could decrypt in Linux)

In this case, there is no hash to find. The encryption was done by hardware directly to a hard disk and the sha1 hash which hid the key was lost due to a known bug in the hardware. I  know the plain text of the boot sector and NTFS boot record. Since we are not dealing with hashes and only decryption, what tool do you suggest to find the correct key and also to decrypt? I've started by creating a dictionary of 4,294,967,296 sequential hex numbers (all possible keys) and now I'm searching for a tool that could perform a dictionary attack, but maybe I am going in the wrong direction?  I'll definitely donate some btc for the help Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: need help with markov chain, or possibly another solution for decrypt of AES-256 - by carmitchel - 05-27-2017, 05:22 PM