'Budget' rackmount/server rig questions
Thank you for the advice Flomac.

Your advice on going with 1080 Ti instead of 1070 sounds reasonable. We could always start with 2 and add more if necessary if we had a case/psu/cpu to support it!

Your points on the CPU/SSD/RAM are also good.

I think the reason I was looking at the Supermicro server in the netmux blog post is that this same case appears to be used a number of suppliers that can sell pre-configured servers.

Whilst I'm happy to explore cheaper cases and provide the mobo and PSU independently of that to save money, I have not seen many systems like that with positive feedback. Do you have any suggestions for a manufacturer of these items? Particularly the case.

You budgeted $800 total for case/mobo/psu/fans. The Supermicro case can be purchased for about $1950 but I've seen positive reviews of that and I know that it will 'work'. The supermicro case also has a total of 8 fans, plus active heatsinks supplied.

On the 3 GPU on one mainboard, we would not be able to leave 1 space between each card if each PCI-e slot is 2 'slots' apart

I'm happy to get my hands dirty, but if all goes well then the system we build will be recommended to our customers who may not be so keen to 'cheap out' on parts and would rather spend more for peace of mind.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 'Budget' rackmount/server rig questions - by GrepItAll - 07-21-2017, 02:04 PM