No idea how to succeed cracking hashes
(10-19-2017, 02:16 PM)forkbomb Wrote: Greetings!
I'm new here, but I've used hashcat before.

My problem, which is giving me a huge headache, is that I can't succesfully crack anything!
I'm here to ask for help and advices.

So far, my use of hashcat has been with wordlists, straight attacks, but as you can imagine, I found nothing.
I would love to crack some hashes, but I don't know how to move. Can you please help me, telling how do you do it?

For example, how can you crack an MD5? I am 100% sure you use a rule or something like that, but I have no idea. Also, my wordlists are big (>5Gb), so I think they are pretty useless if I'm not sure the password is inside that file.

Another example, how to crack a wpa2? Usually, I search for the router name, find some passwords and make a mask on that. But what if that has been changed? how can I crack it?

Hope you can help me, because I'm lost.

About the WPA2 part, it is considered a "strong" hash, meaning that it will result in slow cracking speed even on high-end equipments, so brute forcing is pretty much out of the question, considering the fact, that it also requires passwords to be at least 8 characters long.
Best result would be achieved by using a good combination of dictionary and rules as mentioned above.

Also, You seem to forget, that hashcat isn't a guarantee for 100% success, just a tool, which can be successful at times. There is always a chance that Your target password is 12+ in length and made entirely of random characters by a password manager, meaning You will never be able to crack it in thousands of years, even if a weak hash algorithm (i.e. MD5) is used..
So asking something like "how can you crack an MD5?" seems a bit sloppy and out of context to me, You should read the wiki first!

Messages In This Thread
RE: No idea how to succeed cracking hashes - by xkcd3301 - 10-24-2017, 03:07 PM