VTC Vertcoin wallet passphrase lost need help
(01-05-2018, 09:37 AM)philsmd Wrote: no, I don't think that a mask attack with a charset of ?a in each position is a good strategy.

Since -m 11300 is a slow hashing algorithm I would recommend to remember as much as possible from the password and try to come up with some policies that limit the keyspace and therefore number of password candidates a lot.

That said, very small mask attacks might be okay even for a slow hashing algorithm but not something like you said "at least 13-25" characters. That's not even possible to brute-force for very fast hashing algorithms like NTLM or MD5.

It therefore would make sense to remember all the policies and either generate (or hand-craft) a (small) dictionary file in advance and run it with hashcat or use a small input dictionary file and use some rules (see https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=rule_based_attack)

My bad. I was using ?a as an example. I'm pretty sure the first three characters were symbols (?s).. it's just killing me that I don't remember changing the damn thing and what I put down after my seed isn't working. I'll take a look at making a small dictionary file and run it with hashcat. Thanks for all the help and guidance up to this point.

Edit: Trying this first because I didn't read how to make a dictionary file from that link:

Code:
c:\hashcat-4.0.1>hashcat64.exe -m 11300 -a 3 -w 3 hash.txt ?s?s?s?u?u?u?l?l?l?d?d

Edit 2: LOL! 10 years to crack this with a GTX 1080. Wowzers. Might just wanna say bye.

Edit 3: I quit hashing. Need to make a better ruleset/dict file.

Messages In This Thread
RE: VTC Vertcoin wallet passphrase lost need help - by Pashyto - 01-05-2018, 09:52 AM