Unable to load a 7z archive hash made with 7z2hashcat
Hi All,

I have a large (2.3ishGB) .7z archive I'm trying to break back into after forgetting the password because it was made years ago. 

I know the passwords rough construction but can't quite remember where I substituted letters for numbers ect. so have been playing round with Hashcat to try and get back into it.

I've used the latest windows release of 7z2hashcat on the archive on my windows 10 64 machine using this command:

Code:
7z2hashcat64-1.3.exe e:\Things.7z > hash2.hash

and piped the output straight in to a file which I didn't mess with or open before trying to use hashcat on it.

I keep getting the error:

Code:
Hashfile 'e:\hash2.hash' on line 1 ($7z$1$...0ccb321b947a3e$199076$5d00000400): Token length exception

No hashes loaded.

The hash I get back is 28KB, Far longer than the example hash on the wiki when read on Notepad++.

I am using a mask file but have tried it with a bunch of ?a on the mask just to see if it fires off and it comes back with the same result. Below is the commands I have tried and got the same results:

Code:
hashcat64.exe -a 3 -m 11600 hash2.hash mask.hcmask

hashcat64.exe -a 3 -m 11600 hash2.hash ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a

I have used the example specified on the wiki and run it with the masks ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a and ?l?l?l?l?l?l?l and they kick off and crack on. 

I know the password I'm using is between about 22-26 characters and can remember what words I used, but cannot remember which letter I substituted for numbers. 

For example in the password Best could be Best, best, b3st or B3st and my mask is Bb,e3,s,t with ?s for where I know there are spaces - please correct me if I am wrong here I'm still learning Hashcat.

I've also used the same 7z2hashcat tool on an archive I made today with an easy 4 letter password and the received hash was 394KB and this returns the same error when I try and start it with the above commands

I am also using notepad++ for any editing of texts.

On a side note I have two machines available one with a GTX980 the other with a GTX660ti the example hash used on the 980 trolleys along at about 4.4K hashes a second but the 660ti says its down at 1 hash a second. Anyone got any idea why? 

I would have thought the 660ti while slow would have been a touch faster than that.

I'm happy to PM hashes and my mask to any suitable mod god who requests them to aid in diagnosis too. As it's not a mission critical file.

Messages In This Thread
Unable to load a 7z archive hash made with 7z2hashcat - by LimeJames - 02-13-2019, 09:06 PM