openssl AES256 with a common standardized Password-Based Key Derivation Function
I don't know about the details, but also the source code you posted says "Multibit Classic" (as the title of the github issue), so maybe there is a lot of confusion because users try to hijack github issues and nobody explains the differences between the formats.

I'm also NO python expert, but your code has 2 very strange "problems" and therefore contributes to even further confusion:
1. there is NO good verification that matches your decrypted text (the code only checks for "LK5Q", but your "plaintext" is "KzWp" as far as I understand)
2. the following code also makes NO logical sense to me (maybe I'm a python noob, but this seems like a bug in the code posted):
Code:
if b58_privkey[0] in b"LK5Q\x0a#":
    if b58_privkey[0] in b"LK5Q"

what is the sense to check for a substring "LK5Q", if already a longer string "LK5Q\x0a#" matches ? This is very weird code to me... maybe other guys in here (like @undeath) can make more sense of this code... but it seems to be flawed and not really working with your example "KzWp"... Did you try to use this btcrpass.py tool to crack your file ? Does it even work ?

update: I guess it's not a substring test, but it matches every character... i.e.
the char b58_privkey[0] could be "L", "K" "5", "Q" "\n" and "#"

very weird verification code indeed and there might be room for a lot of false positives if there are no stricter checks

Messages In This Thread
RE: openssl AES256 with a common standardized Password-Based Key Derivation Function - by philsmd - 01-29-2020, 10:26 AM