What is the speed of Hashcat for cracking wallet.dat using GPU?
I have a password protected Bitcoin wallet.dat file but I've lost the password. It doesn't have much BTC but I'd like it back if possible.

I apologise if these questions are simplistic and naive. I hope that someone knowledgable can answer them.

This post (https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-8878-po...l#pid47135) says that "Bitcoin wallets are a very slow hash..." In the table, the hash is shows as 4005 H/second on a GPU 1070.

So, to clarify, are we saying that - more or less - a 1070 or equivalent can check the hashes of 4,000 unique passwords per second?

So presumably, if my math is correct, that's:

240,000 hashes per minute.
14,400,000 hashes per hour.
345,600,000 per day.

Is it possible to extrapolate in such a way? Or would there be factor(s) which means this procedure is inaccurate?

My password would have been something like a word (with first letter a capital), two or three numbers, then one or two punctuation symbols. An example (I am making this up) would be: Frog66!!

Presumably a decent wordlist would have this type of password.

But I am curious to know if my assumption that 0.345 billion hashes per day is a valid calculation assuming one 1070 GPU? Or am I missing something?

By comparison, a video on YT with a 1060 deployed 1150 H/s.

The other thing I don't know is whether the password format of the wallet.dat is dependent on the software used. For example, if someone password protects their wallet.dat using Electrum, could that be a different method compared to, say, password protecting their wallet.dat with MultiBit or Wasabi? Or is it all the same to Hashcat (as type 11300)?

Thank you.

Messages In This Thread
What is the speed of Hashcat for cracking wallet.dat using GPU? - by blibblob - 05-24-2020, 11:24 PM