Recommendation for building a Hash Cracking Rig in 2020?
If you are going for more than two GPUs, I would recommend some HEDT platform like Intel's X-Series or Threadripper, since most consumer grade CPUs will run short of PCIe Lanes. If you want to get the most for your money, you should go for something like a 1900X Threadripper with an ASRock X399 Taichi. For Intel, something like a i7-9800X and a Gigabyte X299X AORUS MASTER looks decent. Note that these mainboards actually have the correct spacing of PCIe slots to support 4 GPUs.

If you run long cracking jobs, there is basically no chance to keep things silent and cool at the same time, unless your room temperature is really low (and will stay low) or you dont use the full capacity of your cards. This is especially true, because you want blower-style fans on your GPUs for a good front-to-back airflow, as undeath mentioned. Some good design that was already recommended here are these ones from EVGA: https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-...-_-Product (seems like epixoip bought all of them, couldnt find any that are in stock lol)

Waiting for the next-gen of Nvidia is definitely a good option, although it looks like the upcoming FE cards are again with axial fans, i.e. terrible for stacking. Lets hope there will be a good OEM design.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Recommendation for building a Hash Cracking Rig in 2020? - by NoReply - 07-09-2020, 12:15 AM