Problem with cracking Office password that contains custom character
Hello there,

I have an Excel file which I encrypted with a password that contains a letter from my native language (language: Croatian, letter 'č'). The letter 'č' is \xC4\x8D in UTF-8.
I pulled out the hash from the file with John the Ripper and saved it in the file that I named hash.txt. I moved the file hash.txt in my hashcat folder and entered this command:
Code:
hashcat.exe -a 3 -m 9600 -1 C4 -2 8D --hex-charset -o crack.txt hash.txt ?1?2 --session=name1 -D 1,2
The cracking finishes with the status Exhausted and it cannot find the password.
However, if I encrypt the same Excel file with a password that contains a letter from the English alphabet (e.g. letter 'c'), the password is cracked without problems with the next command.
Code:
hashcat.exe -a 3 -m 9600 -o crack.txt hash.txt ?l --session=name1 -D 1,2

If I generate MD5 hash for the same letter 'č', save it in the hash.txt file, place that file in my hashcat folder and enter this command:
Code:
hashcat.exe -a 3 -m 0 -1 C4 -2 8D --hex-charset -o crack.txt hash.txt ?1?2 --session=name1 -D 1,2 -O
The cracking finishes with the status cracked and the password is found.

Does anybody have any idea why the first command does not work for me?

Messages In This Thread
Problem with cracking Office password that contains custom character - by jerkdavi - 09-12-2020, 05:49 PM