[ noobie :) ] Any estimates on times? I have no idea what I am doing
Question 
Hi I am completely new to this stuff (I am the deathkitten here and here if you CTRL+F I am mostly an activist hehe I'm better at talking than programming Smile) Smile I just found out about this on google when I was trying to look for a way to recover password I used on a very old wordpress (v2.6) years ago - Is there any way to get an estimate of how long it can take to recover? I know it depends on whether it gets lucky or not, but like a minimum and maximum possible time kind of thing depending on the type and length etc? Has anyone made a post here or a list on the wiki of how long they generally take or anything like that? Smile

Also I was looking through the wiki at http://hashcat.net/wiki/oclhashcat_plus and I noticed that there is no bit in Default Values which says what the default value for "attack-mode" is? in
Quote:Supported attack modes, direct

Brute-Force attack
Combinator attack
Dictionary attack
Fingerprint attack
Hybrid attack
Mask attack
Permutation attack
Rule-based attack
I notice that they don't all match up with
Quote:* Attack modes:

0 = Straight
1 = Combination
3 = Brute-force
4 = Permutation
6 = Hybrid dict + mask
7 = Hybrid mask + dict
and it doesn't seem to explain which article is about which type - and even when I look at the articles about the different "attack" types they don't say what mode number they are either! Sad

I am not sure which one is the default "straight" one? I am not sure if I should use it or not or if it should be brute force since I am only trying to find one password out, not try a lot or whatever and hope that someone used a bad dictionary password, like I am guessing the dictionary thing is for?

Quote:Status.......: Running
Input.Mode...: Piped
Hash.Target..: [REDACTED]
Hash.Type....: phpass, MD5(Wordpress), MD5(phpBB3)
Time.Running.: 1 hour, 48 mins
Time.Util....: 6511468.1ms/0.0ms Real/CPU, 0.0% idle
Speed........: 0 c/s Real, 0 c/s GPU
Recovered....: 0/1 Digests, 0/1 Salts
Progress.....: 0
Rejected.....: 0
HW.Monitor.#1: 35% GPU, 43c Temp

Status.......: Running
Time.Util....: 6521481.3ms/0.0ms Real/CPU, 0.0% idle
HW.Monitor.#1: 41% GPU, 43c Temp

Status.......: Running
Time.Util....: 6531494.5ms/0.0ms Real/CPU, 0.0% idle
HW.Monitor.#1: 54% GPU, 43c Temp

edit: By the way the views on this forum do not work properly it adds views to the thread even if it's just me refreshing it, lol Smile

Messages In This Thread
[ noobie :) ] Any estimates on times? I have no idea what I am doing - by deathkitten - 02-28-2012, 12:35 PM