Dedicated rig for.cracking trueceypt container
Hi,
I'm Monique, this is my first post, I setup an account because I haven't found am answer during reading the Hashcat wiki.
I neee to 
crack a password to Truecrypt container (version 6 probably)  that is 25+ chars long, but is created from my set of passwords in some order and maybe with some misspells.
The problem is, I used probably cascaded ciphers during the creation and exotic looking hashes like Whirlpool (I don't remember now).

I want to build an AMD rig for that (is this a right approach?)
Target:
Crack ths truecrypt container then sell the spare GPU cards and leave the rig with one gpu for gaming / virtual machines /homelab
How much money I can spend:
4k - 5k USD
Questions:
1) For cracking Truecrypt hash (cascaded one) should I invest in good CPU or good GPU?
2) Is this approach will be good? Buying Ryzen9 5900x (12 cores, 24 threads) + 3 GPUs - Radeon RX 6800 XT.
3) I will be able to use this CPU and GPUs simoultanously for.truecrypt cracking? Or I should go with the cheaper CPU, because I will not use those 12 physical cores?
4) I have a gold rated 1000W PSU. 3 * RX 6800 XT (200W each) + Ryzen9 5900x (200W) = 800W. Is this will be sufficient, should I run one of the cards from another PSU?
5) I read on Hashcat wiki and forum that we need *at least* 2x RAM than GPU GDDR RAM. Is that true? 3 * 16 GPU RAM * 2 = 96 GB RAM. The X570 mobo has 4 slots, so I will need to buy 4 x 32 GB modules... should I go with slower ECC DDR4 RAM or.fadter gaming fancy non-ecc RGB RAM?
6) Is there a way to simoultanously crack the same hash on multiple GPU rigs? I know that with CPU it is possible, but is it possible with GPU?
7)(silly queation) Is there a practice to undervolt GPU cards im the hashcat community? Or people don't look.at performance/W?

Messages In This Thread
Dedicated rig for.cracking trueceypt container - by monique91 - 10-30-2020, 01:40 PM