trying to crack my bitcoin wallet hash
HI All!!!

Hope everyone is having a good day!

so i am trying to password crack bitcoin wallet for my brother. its a old backup so naturally hes forgotten his password and no seed phrase. 

iv got a bit of info from him tho in terms of what kind of passwords he was using back then but even with that info i havent got far at all with cracking the hash.

im curently using the one rule to rule them all - rule which i researched up and saw it has a good susess rate but upon trying it multiple times, i rekon is not what will work for me due to the password being more on the complexed side.  ( also used dive rule and no luck there either ) 

so now im wondering if the problem might be the password list i made for hashcat and if in actual fact his password was not even close or even more complexed. 

maybe i just need to make a custom rule? wouldent even know where to start as im a noob haha.

also i wanted to ask is there a way of getting hashcat to report when it has sucessfully decrypted letters/numbers/ special characters ? for example if the password was B1ngB0ng27 and hashcat managed to figure out that the first letter is B and the last letter or nunber is 7, is it possible to extract that data? 

not even sure if thats possible but it would be a super big help if it could right? 

anyways any help would be super appricated!!  and if someone is willing to write me a rule based on the passwords my bro has given me, that would be super awesome tooooo!!!
passwords my brother had before are as follows:
7m8s6m3s
FgolkP_OOL
RhjilO
7m8s6m3s**
GlhkO_u

but none of them worked but on top of that he is certain the password was 9-12 characters long and for sure has a ( _ ) and a ( 7)

i had put the passwords and two confirmed characters in a word list but i guess that was not the correct thing to do?
There is no way to tell which characters are correct and which aren't. The hash is either cracked in full or not at all.
(11-16-2021, 11:05 AM)devilnash Wrote: HI All!!!

Hope everyone is having a good day!

so i am trying to password crack bitcoin wallet for my brother. its a old backup so naturally hes forgotten his password and no seed phrase. 

iv got a bit of info from him tho in terms of what kind of passwords he was using back then but even with that info i havent got far at all with cracking the hash.

im curently using the one rule to rule them all - rule which i researched up and saw it has a good susess rate but upon trying it multiple times, i rekon is not what will work for me due to the password being more on the complexed side.  ( also used dive rule and no luck there either ) 

so now im wondering if the problem might be the password list i made for hashcat and if in actual fact his password was not even close or even more complexed. 

maybe i just need to make a custom rule? wouldent even know where to start as im a noob haha.

also i wanted to ask is there a way of getting hashcat to report when it has sucessfully decrypted letters/numbers/ special characters ? for example if the password was B1ngB0ng27 and hashcat managed to figure out that the first letter is B and the last letter or nunber is 7, is it possible to extract that data? 

not even sure if thats possible but it would be a super big help if it could right? 

anyways any help would be super appricated!!  and if someone is willing to write me a rule based on the passwords my bro has given me, that would be super awesome tooooo!!!

(11-17-2021, 02:43 AM)VC_23 Wrote: There is no way to tell which characters are correct and which aren't. The hash is either cracked in full or not at all.

Thanks for replying bro, and good to know. Guess I was hoping for a Holywood style crack haha.

Anyways any advise on how I might be bale to create a decent word list with the passwords?
You can download a good dictionary from weakpass.com
I'd say you need one with a rating of at least 90%
Use these rules on your password list maybe it will help...

https://www.sendspace.com/file/acew9s
(12-22-2022, 02:40 PM)KevinBqq Wrote: Try to log in with every possible password combination you remember using. But don't exaggerate! After 10 failed attempts, the password will encrypt itself. Then the wallet will be impossible to access.

Breaking on the hash itself will not encrypt it, which is exactly what it is used for.