Problem extracting hash from Blockchain v0.0 wallet
Hi everyone!

I apologize in advance if I communicate anything incorrectly. My technical knowledge is limited.

I also apologize if my question is not wholly specific to Hashcat. It's difficult to find the correct place to ask a question which (to me) is highly specific. But given the activity I see here, I thought I would give it a shot.

I have an old Blockchain v0.0 wallet I'm trying to crack. However, I'm under the impression that the hash I extracted from the wallet is incorrect.

I ran the blockchain2john.py script on it to try to extract the hash. When I run the script with the --base64 command, it generates no output. However, when I run the script without the same command, it generates a valid-looking hash.

However, I think this hash is incorrect for the following reason: I'm familiar (enough) with using BTCrecover to try to crack a wallet. I've successfully cracked their blockchain v0.0 test wallet using it, and so I have a known password for that test wallet. So, I tried running blockchain2john.py to extract the hash from the test wallet, and then used that hash to try to crack it using Hashcat since I have the known password. Similar to my own wallet, the --base64 command generated no output, but I received a valid-looking hash without that command.

When I tried to crack that hash using Hashcat against the known password, it failed.

Ergo, if the hash extracted from the test wallet failed (and is therefore a bad hash), I'm assuming the same is true for my wallet as well.

Does anyone know how to extract the correct base64 hash from a v0.0 wallet?

Thank you! Again, I apologize if this question is off-topic. I've been trying to pursue this for a few months, and just trying to find answers Smile