Poll: is it possible to...
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
...make it process your remaining login attempts?
0%
0 0%
...extract the data?
0%
0 0%
...make an image of the drive?
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

HELP WITH MACBOOOK LOGIN
Exclamation 
Hello,
I have a Macbook with the M2 processor and Filevault enabled.
I am pretty sure (95%) that I know the password, but the following happened:
- I entered the password wrong a couple times, but not 10 times (Apple has rules in place that allow 10 attempts in the logins screen, another 10 password attempts in the macos Recovery, and then 10 attempts at the Recovery Key that is being generated at the activation of Filevault)
- I thought there was something screwed up with the input settings (keyboard layout)
- I entered the macos Recovery, tried again there(after checking the input methods), again not 10 attempts (maybe 5)
- I tried the Recovery Key, but it turned out it was the wrong one and I do not have the one for this Macbook

Now whatever I do, it seems like the Macbook doesn't process my login attempts (with the password) anymore, as it doesn't show "wait x minutes until the next attempt" no matter how many passwords I try, and just immediately "shakes" the password field.

Does anyone have an idea of what I could try to make the Macbook process my login attempts for at least the remaining attempts that I should have (since I initially only made about 10 attempts out of 20 in total before trying the recovery key)?

Are there any hopes to try recovering the data by extracting it somehow and then decrypting it using the password?

If even that is impossible, is there maybe at least a way to create a copy/backup of the drive to try again in the future, and at least using it after erasing it? (it is not icloud locked, since it is mine)

If there are any questions about additional information, please ask
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860
(08-20-2023, 08:57 AM)marc1n Wrote: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

Thanks, but I haven't forgotten my password, I would be able to unlock my mac if it would process my login attempts, that's why I'm asking here not Apple Support
(08-20-2023, 04:22 AM)j44450 Wrote: Hello,
I have a Macbook with the M2 processor and Filevault enabled.
I am pretty sure (95%) that I know the password, but the following happened:
- I entered the password wrong a couple times, but not 10 times (Apple has rules in place that allow 10 attempts in the logins screen, another 10 password attempts in the macos Recovery, and then 10 attempts at the Recovery Key that is being generated at the activation of Filevault)
- I thought there was something screwed up with the input settings (keyboard layout)
- I entered the macos Recovery, tried again there(after checking the input methods), again not 10 attempts (maybe 5)
- I tried the Recovery Key, but it turned out it was the wrong one and I do not have the one for this Macbook

Now whatever I do, it seems like the Macbook doesn't process my login attempts (with the password) anymore, as it doesn't show "wait x minutes until the next attempt" no matter how many passwords I try, and just immediately "shakes" the password field.

Does anyone have an idea of what I could try to make the Macbook process my login attempts for at least the remaining attempts that I should have (since I initially only made about 10 attempts out of 20 in total before trying the recovery key)?

Are there any hopes to try recovering the data by extracting it somehow and then decrypting it using the password?

If even that is impossible, is there maybe at least a way to create a copy/backup of the drive to try again in the future, and at least using it after erasing it? (it is not icloud locked, since it is mine)

If there are any questions about additional information, please ask
I do know the password, I just can't attempt to use it to unlock the Mac, since it doesn't seem to process any input

I know that Apple would tell me that nothing of those would work, that's why I'm asking here, if you know something or have any idea, please reply