stdout not working on Windows
Hi, wanted to use len and req-include from hashcat-utils to filter unneded words from a dictionary and pipe them to the hashcat worker instance, but without success. The pipe was empty, hashcat did not recveve any password and one cpu core was at 100% load. This happened on all dictionaries, also on tiny ones.

System:
  • Windows 10
  • NVIDIA P106-100 GPU
  • Hashcat v6.2.6

So i simplified the commands to identify the problem and i noticed that --stdout is not working on my System.

The command
Code:
hashcat.exe rockyou.txt --stdout
does not even print a word of the dictionary to the console.

I tried the latest hashcat beta as also some previous versions of hashcat, until i found a version where --stdout was working.
All versions starting with hashcat-6.0.0 and newer does not work with --stdout.
Beginning from hashcat-5.1.0 and lower i was getting --stdout to work.

Can you help me please getting --stdout working on current version please?
You can open an issue: https://github.com/hashcat/hashcat/issues/
Thank you for your reply, but before i open an issue, i want to be sure thats not my fault or just my system.
I can't beleve that stdout is broken for such a long time and nobody noticed this.
Can someone check this in similar system environment and report, thanks in advance.
beside some bugs when using rules, --stdout is working, just try it yourself with a small sample dict (i just tested it)

the problem with the (original) rockyou.txt is, there is so much garbage inside this file like every control char you can imagine which can or will result in some strange behavior when running through a pipe, i also believe the original file starts with a BOM-marker which is also ... well ...

im quite sure, the windows CLI "waits" until hashcat prints all candidates before showing anything, due to the size of rockyou this can take some time or even result in crashing the cli

back then i used some basic linux tools like strings for cleaning up rockyou
Code:
hashcat rockyou.txt --stdout

--stdout is working as expected on my system:

- Windows 11
- GTX1080 Ti
- AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core
- Hashcat 6.2.5

My rockyou.txt size: 139.921.497 Bytes (LF only version)

First output on console after about 0.5 seconds, then working with 90% CPU load on all cores and additionally with about 25% load on GPU. Lasting for about 5 min.
Thank you for your reply. I've just copied the same hashcat binary and dictionaries to another computer with windows 10 and --stdout was working there. This means, it's no problem of hashcat, it's a problem of my environment.
It's interesting that just --stdout it not working on the affected computer, all other hashcat functions i've tested are working fine. Also very interesting ist, that on affected computer --sdtout is working fine with hashcat-5.1.0 and lower.
The affected system neighter has installed any special software, nor changed any special system parameters.
Anybody has a hint to me, how to fix this?