7 Zip fun
So here is the back story. I put some crypto mnemonic's in a 7zip file encrypted with AES256. Now of course I lost the password to it. One hard drive later and backup failure, here I am. This is the first one only, I have several in this mess.

So I have the 7zip file and I ran it through 7ztojohn to get the hash. I also ran it through with a test 7zip that I knew the password on and it guessed the test password correctly. However when I run it against the needed file it does not crack it. I also know the first 7 letters of the password, but do not know how many more are in it. Pretty sure it is 8 or less.

I have a couple of questions. 

When you run a mask of -2 '?1?1?1?1?1?1?1' does it check for a password with less characters? If not how do I get it to check combinations from 1 to 7 characters? 

When running this across several mining rigs, are there instructions somewhere how to do this properly? 

Thanks for Play'n!
https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=mask_attack

Checking all combinations of 8 characters on this hash will be very time-consuming and expensive. Perhaps you know something more about the password besides its length?
first you are looking for option --increment this will start with ?1, then ?1?1 and so on

second, when you know the first part you can already provide this part like this

TEST?1?1?1?1?1
(02-17-2023, 08:50 PM)marc1n Wrote: https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=mask_attack

Checking all combinations of 8 characters on this hash will be very time-consuming and expensive. Perhaps you know something more about the password besides its length?

I also have a reduced character set (51 = 45767944570401 combinations). I have been racking my brain as to any other thing that could narrow it down a bit. This character set would take 7.6 years with all of my gpu's working on it. I sure wish an old ASIC would work on this??!
(02-17-2023, 08:57 PM)Snoopy Wrote: first you are looking for option --increment this will start with ?1, then ?1?1 and so on

second, when you know the first part you can already provide this part like this

TEST?1?1?1?1?1

Thanks I am running the following command and it seams to be working.

hashcat -O --status -a 3 -m 11600 hash.txt -o cracked.txt -w 3 -j 'DELETED' --custom-charset1=E:\HashCat\hashcat-6.2.6\charsets\specialK1.hcchr --increment 'DELETED?1?1?1?1?!?!?1'

Is there any value in saving the hashes If I burn through them?