Older Nvida Card OpenCL - Device #1: Not enough allocatable device memory
Hashcat Version: 6.2.6

OpenCL API (OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 9.1.84) - Platform #1 [NVIDIA Corporation]
======================================================================
* Device #1: GeForce GTX 460, 832/959 MB (239 MB allocatable), 7MCU
* Device #1: Not enough allocatable device memory for this attack.

I understand the error and understand it is the result of the old implementation only being able to allocate 1/4 of the available memory on the GPU at one time. The problem is there is no way to force it to use the CPU either (8-core Vishera w/32G of RAM).

Why is there no command line option allowing one to limit the memory used to that allocatable from the card? It still seems like a lot of work could be done in blocks of 239M at a time.

If there is no way to reduce the allocation from the GPU, then how to have Hashcat recognize and use the CPU? -D 1 doesn't work. I've found no way to have Hashcat recognize the CPU.

Any suggestions?
Your GPU is FAR too old to be supported, I'm surprised you managed to get as far as you did. I don't think the 460 is capable of doing almost anything under hashcat, it's too early of an architecture and the drivers needed to support it must be extremely out of date.
CPU also needs drivers for opencl, so if
Code:
hashcat -I
doesnt recognize your CPU, you are missing some prerequisites, next, opencl 1.2 is also very old and will result in errors compiling the kernels, you will need at least opencl 2.1 for running hashcat

so if you manage to get your card or cpu recognized with opencl 2.1 you can try again to run an attack