Altered my PW for Argent-X (crypto wallet) - no seed written down.
My username says it all…

If you want a TLDR read only the highlighted part in blue.

Due to difficult personal circumstances I found myself with no paper & pen but a Steam Deck (Windows on microSD) as my only device.

I wanted to try out the StarkNet blockchain and therefore installed Argent-X - as I wasn’t able to write my seed phrase down (and being aware that taking a screenshot could be negative if I should get hacked) I decided to safe my PW in an encrypted text file.

Due to the Steam Deck controls being a bit whacky I must have accidentally selected some part of my PW (difficult to guess - more or less completely random) and moved it into the rest (the only “easy” possibility would be that I accidentally deleted the last 1-2 characters - pressing x to open the keyboard is the same as deleting the last character) and then as dumb as I was have saved it later after adding another PW for a different service.

As I still have a PW that is at least close to what the actual PW was I ask myself if it would be possible to still get out of such a miserable situation (my life was in a bad state before that obviously and acting against any common sense by not writing anything down and doing control c & v with a whacky mouse pad where it’s hard to select anything correctly was an invitation for failure - the amount lost is significantly below 1 ETH which may not be much for some people but for me it’s sadly quite a substantial amount).

So to make it clear:

I’m pretty sure I have all the characters and nearly all of them are in the correct order.
I’m also pretty sure that there was only one error (if it’s not deleting 1-2 characters - but then it’s only that and no moving) of moving part of the PW into the rest (it’s highly likely that it was just the end part - maybe the last character is still at its correct place)

Examples to showcase:

Original PW: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Potential changes (gaps to showcase): abcde stuvwxyz fghijklmnopqr

Potential changes (gaps to showcase): abcde uvwxyz fghijklmnopqrst

Potential changes (gaps to showcase): abcde stuvwxy fghijklmnopqrz

Potential changes (gaps to showcase): abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz 1

As I don’t want to brute force completely randomly (the PW has way too many characters - that would fail definitely) but I have a rough gist of what my actual PW was - is there any way to program / code something that only checks for such mistakes so that it could solve it in an acceptable timeframe?

I’m no computer scientist and only had a few classes - so just as with my PW I have a rough understanding (did Java, Python, C++ but it’s a couple of years ago) but I’m not able to easily assess how to write such a code / if it’s possible in a reasonable run time (Big O Notation was only done with simple sort algorithms and it was basically just learn three types and know them by heart instead of real understanding).

I hope it’s ok that such a complete dumbestdummy is using this forum!

I really appreciate any type of help!

Thanks in advance to anyone being kind of enough to read that text!
Hashcat must have your password hash to work unfortunately but Argent-X is not currently supported.
(08-31-2023, 11:42 AM)marc1n Wrote: Hashcat must have your password hash to work unfortunately but Argent-X is not currently supported.

I know this is not part of the forum but are there maybe any other possible approaches (like more manual ones)?
As stated I think there shouldn’t be that many possibilities given that there weren’t several of those actions performed so basically I would just need to try to start cutting sequences out (like character 2&3 to the end, character 2-4 to the end, character 2-5 to the end, character 3-7 to the end etc) and then check how argent reacts.

So if there is any literature / tools / I can look at that would also help me a lot. I don’t have to starve otherwise but it’s still a hefty some that would make it worth for me.
(08-31-2023, 11:54 AM)dumbestdummy Wrote:
(08-31-2023, 11:42 AM)marc1n Wrote: Hashcat must have your password hash to work unfortunately but Argent-X is not currently supported.

I know this is not part of the forum but are there maybe any other possible approaches (like more manual ones)?
As stated I think there shouldn’t be that many possibilities given that there weren’t several of those actions performed so basically I would just need to try to start cutting sequences out (like character 2&3 to the end, character 2-4 to the end, character 2-5 to the end, character 3-7 to the end etc) and then check how argent reacts.

So if there is any literature / tools / I can look at that would also help me a lot. I don’t have to starve otherwise but it’s still a hefty some that would make it worth for me.

If you don't have your recovery phrases, you don't know the password and you don't even have a json file (backup file), your funds are not recoverable at the moment. You have deprived yourself of funds by not following the basic rules in the world of cryptocurrencies.
(08-31-2023, 12:16 PM)marc1n Wrote:

If you don't have your recovery phrases, you don't know the password and you don't even have a json file (backup file), your funds are not recoverable at the moment. You have deprived yourself of funds by not following the basic rules in the world of cryptocurrencies.

I know that. I wasn’t so stupid before that. It’s the old “should go well for a small amount of time” and then it doesn’t.

As stated I have a rough idea of what my password actually is. I have run the numbers and it should even be brute forceable on a manual scale (as stated it’s just character a till b and put them at the end or 1 character before the end).
So if there is no automatic tool I can use to type in the passwords (I have unlimited tries in Argent as far as I’m aware) I have to swallow the pill and manually enter everything on the keyboard once I have a physical keyboard again (because on the touchscreen this won’t be any fun).

So that’s basically my last question: is there any tool I can use to automatically enter the possible PWs until I get the right thing?
There should be less than 300 times 2 (maybe adding like 70 times 2 if the last one or two characters were deleted) possibilities so it should be done fairly quickly.

Like an idea I have given my limited understanding:
I program a Java script that moves the characters for me and makes a list of all possible PWs.
Have a tool that automatically copies and pastes it into the Argent-X PW field and then hits enter.

I’m pretty sure after more thinking about it there is a way for people who have more knowledge about automating mouse controls to do it.

The Java code (again I’m a noob) can be fairly easily done by just using an array of characters, running a simple loop and then printing the resulting arrays.

I have the json file in which the seed is encrypted with my chosen password which I have altered slightly (again less than 1000 combinations possible at max and I do know all of them). So maybe that clears things up— should have gotten that earlier but I was mentally to unstable tbh
(08-31-2023, 09:05 PM)dumbestdummy Wrote:

I have the json file in which the seed is encrypted with my chosen password which I have altered slightly (again less than 1000 combinations possible at max and I do know all of them). So maybe that clears things up— should have gotten that earlier but I was mentally to unstable tbh

https://support.argent.xyz/hc/en-us/arti...lete-guide