Hashcat and Vast.ai
I'm new to the forum and hashcat. I've been using hashcat launcher to make it easy. But I have a old veracrypt password I'm trying recover the password for and I need more GPUs. So I started using hashcat with Vast.ai on my test file before I try my real one. The problem is hashcat isn't showing the password after it recovers it and I don't know how to find it. I had put in what I thought would be an output file command. But I couldn't find it anywhere. This is what I put in:

hashcat -a 3 -m 13733 NewSeeMe_hash.tc -o found.txt --outfile-format=1,2 ?d?d?d?d

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
hashcat -m 13733 NewSeeMe_hash.tc --show
Thanks I had done this: hashcat -m 13733 --show NewSeeMe_hash.tc, before making the post, but nothing happened. So putting --show at the end is the correct way?
If your on linux then try looking in the potfile, heres the command:

cd /root/.local/share/hashcat
sudo apt install vim -y
vim hashcat.potfile
(09-20-2023, 11:57 AM)Cmd2002 Wrote: If your on linux then try looking in the potfile, heres the command:

sudo apt install vim -y
vim hashcat.potfile

How do I turn the potfile on because it says it's off or disabled when I put in my above commands.
(09-20-2023, 11:06 PM)lillee3377 Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 11:57 AM)Cmd2002 Wrote: If your on linux then try looking in the potfile, heres the command:

sudo apt install vim -y
vim hashcat.potfile

How do I turn the potfile on because it says it's off or disabled when I put in my above commands.

Give me a bit more context on what u want to do with this command
Quote:hashcat -a 3 -m 13733 NewSeeMe_hash.tc -o found.txt --outfile-format=1,2 ?d?d?d?d

I cant see a mask and -o usually just outputs whatever the passwords are? Im a bit confused
(09-20-2023, 11:33 PM)Cmd2002 Wrote:

sudo apt install vim -y
vim hashcat.potfile

Quote:hashcat -a 3 -m 13733 NewSeeMe_hash.tc -o found.txt --outfile-format=1,2 ?d?d?d?d

I cant see a mask and -o usually just outputs whatever the passwords are? Im a bit confused

The mask is ?d?d?d?d, and that's what I'm trying to do is see the password after it recovered, but it's not showing it. And the file isn't being output for me to see. So I'm trying to figure this out on my test file before I run the file I really need to recover.
(09-21-2023, 10:40 PM)lillee3377 Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 11:33 PM)Cmd2002 Wrote:

sudo apt install vim -y
vim hashcat.potfile

The mask is ?d?d?d?d, and that's what I'm trying to do is see the password after it recovered, but it's not showing it. And the file isn't being output for me to see. So I'm trying to figure this out on my test file before I run the file I really need to recover.

Hashcat will normally print any cracked hashs to the potfile in the location I mentioned above, should also display the cracked ones in the GUI, try your command like this:

hashcat -a 3 -m 13733 NewSeeMe_hash.tc ?d?d?d?d -w 4 -O

If it cracks the 4 digit password for the hash it should go to potfile, maybe the output commands were messing with that
So, back at it. What the real problem seems to be is nothing is going into or showing up in my remote instance folder in WinSCP. When I start hashcat no files are created and no restore file appears in folder. So I'm just lost on where these files are going are at.
(09-23-2023, 01:17 PM)lillee3377 Wrote: So, back at it. What the real problem seems to be is nothing is going into or showing up in my remote instance folder in WinSCP. When I start hashcat no files are created and no restore file appears in folder. So I'm just lost on where these files are going are at.

Try my setup instructions for vast: the docker image I use dceoy/hashcat

Quote:apt update && apt upgrade -y && apt  dist-upgrade -y && apt autoremove -y && apt autoclean -y
git clone https://github.com/hashcat/hashcat.git
sudo apt install vim -y
cd hashcat
make install

Then copy your hash you reffered to as NewSeeMe_hash.tc to your clipboard
NOTE: this should probably be in $Truecrypt$etc format if you have extracted properly

vim hash.txt

click Insert then paste it into there, enter : and x to save and close it

now after exiting try this command with your hash

hashcat -a 3 -m 13733 hash.txt ?d?d?d?d -w 4 -O

Let me know if that solves any of your issues, I have no problems trying a variety of hashs using this setup and similar commands