Whats the methodology here?
Greetings All,

Hope You are great,
Excuse me for my question; I searched and couldn't get the answer.
Today, I found out about Hashcat by pure chance, I once had a personal family rar compressed folder with a password that by time and getting older, I forgot about it with no clue at all sadly.
Since I'm sure that this password is more than 10 characters with two Caps, numbers, and 2 symbols, I know that it will take forever to find the password, unless you guys have some other good news for me Smile
The real reason for my long post here -sorry about that- is I want to know if it's possible to find the password character by character, and not by the right complete password combination.
I'm not sure if my question is clear enough I feel it's coming out very stupid and wrong, so please bear with me.

Also is there a good, extremely good tip on using attack methods to reduce the cracking time and increase my chances of seeing these family pics before I pass away Smile

Thank you so much for reading, helping and understanding

PS My Hashcat trials involved something like this -m 1300 -a 3 ?u?l?l?l?h?h?h?h?s, hoping for 10 characters.
short answer no, this is not how hashalgorithms work

this style of "cracking" a password char for char is just a "stupid hollywood invention" to make it more entertaining for the audience watching

to reduce cracking time, take your time and think about your passes you used before, generate a wordlist and use rules or something similar to produce some more combinations and try these

if your password was like true random (no complete words like dog, cat, my, house etc.) like sfbukb23$%&AA and you know nothing more about your password it will be pure luck bruteforcing that pass
(03-18-2024, 06:02 PM)Snoopy Wrote: short answer no, this is not how hashalgorithms work

this style of "cracking" a password char for char is just a "stupid hollywood invention" to make it more entertaining for the audience watching

to reduce cracking time, take your time and think about your passes you used before, generate a wordlist and use rules or something similar to produce some more combinations and try these

if your password was like true random (no complete words like dog, cat, my, house etc.) like sfbukb23$%&AA and you know nothing more about your password it will be pure luck bruteforcing that pass

Thank you for explaining the methodology, I had this feeling too that it was only movie shows Smile
So wish me good luck then Smile think I need it 
I have an AMD R7/RTX3060Ti -still not sure how to use its full power to help- but I hope I will get somewhere soon