Inconsistency between dictionary attack and brute force attack
Hi all! 

I have successfully cracked a hash type 11400 (SIP Digest) with the command:

hashcat -a 3 -m 11400 hash.txt ?1?1?1?2?3?3?3?1 -1 ?l -2 ?u -3 ?d

For example, suppose the result of this atack is "atbK184z"

If I now launch a dictionary attack, with a "dict.txt" file that only includes the word "atbK184z" with this command:

hashcat -a 0 -m 11400 hash.txt dict.txt

The process ends as "Exhausted" and there is no valid result, but I can see on screen Candidates.#1....: atbK184z -> atbK184z

Any ideas?

Thanks.
if that password was previously cracked, it will be stored in your hashcat.potfile which is scanned previously for any matching hashes. If that has a match it will skip the hash and proceed any other work, in this case you probably have the hash already cracked as from a previous/other post which explains you have cracked the password.

If you want to retry the attack, simply open the potfile with any text editor, delete the entry for the hash you are attempting to crack and save. Now try your attack again.
(09-17-2024, 02:54 AM)slyexe Wrote: if that password was previously cracked, it will be stored in your hashcat.potfile which is scanned previously for any matching hashes. If that has a match it will skip the hash and proceed any other work, in this case you probably have the hash already cracked as from a previous/other post which explains you have cracked the password.

If you want to retry the attack, simply open the potfile with any text editor, delete the entry for the hash you are attempting to crack and save. Now try your attack again.

I knew it. My potfile is empty. When I tried the dictionary attack for the first time, it didn´t start, because the result was  on the potfile. So I edited the file and erase it.

After erase, the attack starts but the problem is that doesnt work and finish at exhausted.

Thanks!