Fan Speed When Paused
With regard to this thread which unfortunately was closed.

Using oclHashcat-plus 9 on Win7 32 bit with lastest ATI drivers.

When I pause a brute force on a .hccap file my GPU fan stays at 100% during the paused period.

When I look at the ATI control center I notice that the fan speed is set to manual even though I have set this to auto previously. I discovered that the check box for the manual fan control is checked by oclHashcat-plus whenever my card temp gets above 80c.

I understand 80c is a trigger temperature and I could alter it. However I would like to leave it there in case of emergancies ! Smile

Is it possible for oclHashcat-plus to restore the "auto" setting when it is in paused mode and or when "quit" is actioned ? I guess what I am asking is for oclHashcat-plus to hand control back to the ATI driver when not above 80c or when paused.

My card runs much quieter when in auto mode and also the fan would drop down when I pause.

Thank you. Smile
(09-10-2012, 01:03 AM)Hash-IT Wrote: My card runs much quieter when in auto mode and also the fan would drop down when I pause.

Then disable it:

--gpu-temp-disable
Thank you for your reply mastercracker. Smile

I appreciate I can simply disable it (or as I said before alter it) but I wondered if it might be smarter to consider disabling this feature automatically when the user pauses or quits oclHashcat-plus ?

If its still not a good idea then I will do as you suggest.

Thanks.
Hi,

i don't think it's a good idea change the fan speed control to 'auto' when status is 'pause' but the temperature of your card is above the limit.

(09-10-2012, 02:46 PM)Hash-IT Wrote: Thank you for your reply mastercracker. Smile

I appreciate I can simply disable it (or as I said before alter it) but I wondered if it might be smarter to consider disabling this feature automatically when the user pauses or quits oclHashcat-plus ?

If its still not a good idea then I will do as you suggest.

Thanks.
(09-10-2012, 05:56 PM)m4tr1x Wrote: Hi,

i don't think it's a good idea change the fan speed control to 'auto' when status is 'pause' but the temperature of your card is above the limit.

Hi

Yes I understand that, when the GPU is over the limit but it very quickly drops. I have never before had a problem when I have left the fan speed down to the ATI driver.

My suggestions is really for when oclHashcat-plus is either paused or stopped wouldn't it be good to let the fan also slow down as running it at 100% when your GPU has dropped to 30c seems odd to me.

Thanks for you help.
I add some check for
- reset fan speed to 'auto' when status is 'quit'
- double check temperature, if is below the limit the speed setting is restored to
original setting.

Is to be tested but i think can work Wink

(09-10-2012, 06:09 PM)Hash-IT Wrote:
(09-10-2012, 05:56 PM)m4tr1x Wrote: Hi,

Hi

Yes I understand that, when the GPU is over the limit but it very quickly drops. I have never before had a problem when I have left the fan speed down to the ATI driver.

My suggestions is really for when oclHashcat-plus is either paused or stopped wouldn't it be good to let the fan also slow down as running it at 100% when your GPU has dropped to 30c seems odd to me.

Thanks for you help.
(09-10-2012, 06:19 PM)m4tr1x Wrote: I add some check for
- double check temperature, if is below the limit the speed setting is restored to
original setting.

That's very kind of you, thank you very much Smile
No problem, thank to you Wink

(09-10-2012, 06:33 PM)Hash-IT Wrote:
original setting.

Ok, tested and work for me with hd6990.

Remains to be tested in a system with gpu cards greater then 1.

(09-10-2012, 06:59 PM)m4tr1x Wrote: No problem, thank to you Wink

(09-10-2012, 06:33 PM)Hash-IT Wrote:
original setting.

(09-10-2012, 07:24 PM)m4tr1x Wrote: Ok, tested and work for me with hd6990.

Remains to be tested in a system with gpu cards greater then 1.

Good grief .... already !! You don't hang about do you !! Smile

Thank you very much !