Cyrillic Character Encoding
Hello,

how does oclhashcatplus handle the cyrllic character encoding?

At first, I am running oclhashcat-plus on Windows 7 Platform using MS DOS Console. As I understand, MS DOS does not have support for this character encoding.

So, I run oclhashcat-plus to crack MD5 hashes against a dictionary consisting of Russian words (present in Cyrillic Script). The dictionary file (*.txt extension) is UTF-8 encoded.

oclhashcat-plus cracks a couple of hashes however on the console, I see junk characters instead of the actual password. So, this traces back to MS-DOS Console not having support for Cyrillic.

How do I handle such a situation on windows?

Correct me if I am wrong, but rxvt console for Cygwin has support for this character encoding. So, I guess, I will have to install Cygwin and use this console.

Thanks.
seems like you just answered your own question. hashcat is agnostic about the encoding of your dictionary file, it handles each word as a stream of bytes. the reason you cannot see the passwords in the terminal is because, as you state, the terminal does not support that encoding. either use a different terminal, or use -o to save the plains to a text file which you can then open in e.g. wordpad.
Well explained, thanks!
Thank you, I will redirect the output to a text file. Interesting to know that it handles each word in the wordlist as a stream of hex bytes Smile

Is there a way to specify the output file encoding format in oclhashcat-plus like UTF-8, KOI8-R and so on?

I can only see this specific to outfile formats:

* Outfile Formats:

1 = hash[Confusedalt]
2 = plain
3 = hash[Confusedalt]:plain
4 = hex_plain
5 = hash[Confusedalt]:hex_plain
6 = plain:hex_plain
7 = hash[Confusedalt]:plain:hex_plain
no, hashcat doesn't do any encoding at all. just as it will accept any encoding you input, it will output whatever encoding was used for the password.

again, hashcat works with streams of bytes regardless of what encoding was used, so exactly what goes in is exactly what comes out. you can think of it as a "garbage in, garbage out" model.