question about wpa wordlist and other things
Hey all Smile

first I want to thank Atom for his work and also time to answer so many questions here on the forum Smile

I'm kinda new in the backtrack/hashcat/WPA world, but I don't feel awkward being a n00b Wink
anyway, I played around with aircrack and stuff, then finally found oclhashcat-plus while googling some questions that came up while I experimented with backtrack.

using a virtual machine that's limited by software I achived around 4100 c/s on my cpu. Using my video card is not possible on the virtual machine. I found oclhashcat-plus and wow, I was able get up to 117k c/s, played around with the resource options (I use the GUI) it even went up to 145k c/s!

So, now I've got some questions:
My card is a XFX HD7970, I use newest Radeon (I know you suggest an older driver).
I googled a lot to find out what is best to set for workload tuning and gpu loops and segment size but all I found was a hint to increase these values to make it faster.
But what are the correct/best settings?

I don't see any big difference between 512 loops and 4096.
I set workload tuning to 80.
I also don't notice any difference between 32 MB segment size or 128 MB. Does this option just decrease HDD access to the word list?

now the next question is: what does it mean when hashcat rejects keys from the word list? shouldn't it try every line of the word list?
Using the 13 gig word list gives me 0 rejects, using the darkc0de list results in around 33% rejects.

The max keylength of 16 is just for bruteforce, right?

I tried to crack the key of my router. I got a handshake and converted the cap file to hccap using aircrack -J
I then made a dictionary that contains just my key.
hashcat processes it but the result ist "exhausted", it doesn't find it!

my main question is: what am I doing wrong?

thanks a lot for any advice!
First wrong thing that you don't read wiki:

wiki

Where is written:
Code:
Password-length is set to a maximum of 15 on all algorithms
ahhh I somehow ignored the "all" Big Grin
hmm then the "rejected" must mean something else
I thought the rejected means >15 or >16 chars, so I put my key into it's own dictionary and it wasn't rejected

anyway, is there a reason for the limit?
allowing greater lengths would cause a worse performance and probably more coding.
The tuning parameter is not just to make it faster, its also to make it slower if you wish to. For example if I want to play a game or watch a movie while cracking i need to reduce the GPU utilization from cracking down to ~96% to play with full fps
I see
but it's just possible to use fix values, right?
I read something like 1, 20, 40, 80 and 160 IIRC
but what exactly are gpu loops for, or in other words, why is 4096 suggested for wpa?
Check how busy is your GPU with 20 and with 800, if you see no difference (always get ~98% busy) then it means you feed enough work for it and no need to go higher.
ok thanks Smile