Hashcat bug
Hi Atom, I have possibly found a bug. I was using Hashcat in a simple dictionary attack with a list of a bit more than 2 million hashes, the Vbulletin external salts and the md5(md5($pass).$salt) algorithm. I was also using the --remove hash function. While the attack was going on (several hours), finding lots of passwords, the temporary hash file got bigger and bigger up to 260 Gb. I have noticed it because my hard drive was almost empty and now, it was almost full.
hi mastercracker, thanks for report. i can confirm this is a bug. as a workaround, do not use -e and --remove in combination :-)
Now that I know this, what I do as a workaround is that after a couple of hours, I manually stop Hashcat, take note of the -s value, delete the hash temp file and then continue the cracking at the -s value.
On a related not to cracking VB hashes, when I specify the salt file which contains 857375 salts, oclHashcat come back as says:

ERROR: too much salts

??
Oh snap, so much salts!
(01-19-2011, 02:08 PM)blandyuk Wrote: On a related not to cracking VB hashes, when I specify the salt file which contains 857375 salts, oclHashcat come back as says:

ERROR: too much salts

??
You have to split the salt file at least in two. And do the attack with each salt file.

Tnx mastercracker, simple enough solution Smile Another issue I have is I only want to use my wordlist files on their own, no right-dict. I need oclHashcat to do this based on the amount of salts but currently I have to use hashcat instead which is slow because of CPU speed Sad
(01-21-2011, 05:51 PM)blandyuk Wrote: Tnx mastercracker, simple enough solution Smile Another issue I have is I only want to use my wordlist files on their own, no right-dict. I need oclHashcat to do this based on the amount of salts but currently I have to use hashcat instead which is slow because of CPU speed Sad
It's not the best but it's the only solution. Use this in your command line:

In your command line: ?1 ?s?d?u?l
left: Your dictionary
right: ?1

I put this at the end but I guess it can be anywhere: --rule-left="]"

Basically the rule deletes the last character and then you bruteforce every possible character at the end of your word.

Thanks for that but it's still slow and with the size of wordlists, it's still no good.
add the salts to a file and use it either on the left or the right side. of course this depends on the algo.