Min/Max Password Length
I'm working on script to do my combination tests and I was looking to narrow down the size of the words going in.

My if statements for ocl/cudahashcat restrict that to 8-16 but I can't seem to find what the upper limit is for hashcat itself. The wiki shows a min but no max http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=hashcat

The plan is to bruteforce 1-8 then use oclhashcat for 8-16 and then use hashcat for 17+.

Peace
there is no minimum length, except for specific algorithms like WPA which require a minimum length.

the maximum length for oclHashcat-plus is currently 15 characters, not 16 characters. however, the next version will remove this optimization and allow for password candidates greater than 15 characters.

i believe most all of the algorithms allow for a single block of input data. the length of which varies based on the algorithm. for md4 and md5, this would be 51 characters. for sha1 and sha256, this would be 55 characters. for sha512, this would be 111 characters.
(07-24-2013, 02:14 PM)liquiz Wrote: The plan is to bruteforce 1-8 then use oclhashcat for 8-16 and then use hashcat for 17+.

I lol'd. What's your keyspace like? 5 characters?
(07-24-2013, 06:29 PM)undeath Wrote:
(07-24-2013, 02:14 PM)liquiz Wrote: The plan is to bruteforce 1-8 then use oclhashcat for 8-16 and then use hashcat for 17+.

I lol'd. What's your keyspace like? 5 characters?

ROFL .. Im using a hodgepodge of gear, a more accurate statement would be
Bruteforce 1-10 for digits
Bruteforce 1-8 for a-z
Bruteforce 1-8 for A-Z
Bruteforce 1-8 for symbols
I have 3 servers/systems so some of the limits are just based on really bad gear Smile

Thanks for the info epixoip, I can adjust the scripts easily enough along with building hooks in for lengths based on the type of hash. Do we know if there are any immediate plans to update the wiki with this?

Peace,