Wordlist word spacing
Smile 
Does hashcat read wordswithoutspaces as one word? And if so how do I separate the words in the huge free word lists you can find online. Thanks in advance
"wordswithoutspaces" ?
yes, *hashcat reads line by line, regardless if there are spaces in some lines of your wordlist.

If you meant "wordswithspaces", yes they are tested as 1 plain and not split

If you instead want to split by space you can use a simple sed command etc:
sed 's! !\n!g' wordswithspaces_orig.txt > wordswithspaces_dict.txt
sort -u wordswithspaces_dict.txt > wordswithspaces_dict_sorted.txt
(08-10-2013, 02:11 PM)philsmd Wrote: "wordswithoutspaces" ?
yes, *hashcat reads line by line, regardless if there are spaces in some lines of your wordlist.

If you meant "wordswithspaces", yes they are tested as 1 plain and not split

If you instead want to split by space you can use a simple sed command etc:
sed 's! !\n!g' wordswithspaces_orig.txt > wordswithspaces_dict.txt
sort -u wordswithspaces_dict.txt > wordswithspaces_dict_sorted.txt
Thanks!

I have downloaded a bunch of wordlist .txt files and most of them are all one long word, I was wondering if there is a way to take those giant words and space them out (other then manually doing it). Im using windows btw
running sed is not doing it manually. Doing it manually would mean change every space by hand - line by line Wink

Sed/awk/tr can be used on windows. I know that, because I used them myself.
Otherwise you should be able to use any text-editor w/ replace feature (not recommended because slow).

Maybe also a simple cmd batch script with file reading (for loop) + replace should work.

It's very clear why hashcat uses newlines as word-terminator... and it is kind of a good choice, but of course any choice can't fit to all use-cases (like yours).
Many passwords (including passphrases) contain spaces, therefore using spaces as plain-terminator would be a bad choice.

Anyway, I am not sure if you really find a lot of wordlist with 1 line only (that doesn't make sense at all).
Maybe you just use the *wrong* text-editor to display them (see windows vs unix line-terminators \r\n vs \n)

Notepad++ could be kind of a good choice for a modern text-editor in windows (also if I prefer others - vim, gvim etc).
Ah I see I was using notepad to view it. Thanks for your help