oclHashcat-plus + Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 / Win 8 dual-boot Uefi mode + AMD Radeon 7970
Hi guys,

I know my setup is not a typical one over here where almost everyone runs dedicated servers. For now I had to build a desktop PC running both Windows 8 and Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS (dual boot) and a single 7970 GPU. Once getting more addicted to cracking I can pull out the 7970, buy a rack and some more GPUs while continue using the Desktop as a pure office PC.

For starting I got an AS Rock B85M with Intel i5 4430 Quadcore 4x 3GHz (Haswell, 4th generation, onboard graphic Intel HD4600), psu with 700 watt and a single Asus Matrix HD7970 3GD5 DirectCU II (thx @dioxide pointing me to the psu and GPU). First problem was having a board with Uefi. I finally got it sorted out, disabled Secure Boot, Fast Boot, Intel Rapid Start and IGPU Multi-Monitor and set Primary Graphics Adapter to PCI Express (7970). Attached the monitor to DVI on my 7970.

Installed Windows 7 Pro in Uefi mode, upgraded to Windows 8 Pro and shrunk the partition to make some room for Ubuntu. Installed Catalyst 13.1 on Windows 8 Pro, installed oclHashcat-plus 0.14 and oclHashcat-lite 0.15 on Windows 8 Pro - working fine both including temp, fan etc.

No luck for more then a week with Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS 64 bit, neither Desktop nor Server version. Tried the full X11 install like here (http://hashcat.net/forum/thread-2390.html) or the minimal version for server here (http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linux_server_howto). Never got that running - not even low graphics mode, just freezing screen. I am using Linux for a long time have kind of ok knowledge, but not really in-depth. Working with X11 is years ago, I'm a noob there. I always had the feeling it would have to do with X11 and/or drivers. I decided to give trial and error a chance - that worked out finally for me

Installed Ubuntu 12.04.2 Desktop 64-Bit in Uefi mode on the free part of the partition. Had to use TP-Link TL-WN721N WLAN-n Adapter for the update/upgrade cause when installed Ubuntu has no driver for the AS Rock onboard Lan, is installed after upgrade - switch to Lan then. Once installed I did

Code:
sudo apt-get install p7zip aptitude
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude upgrade
sudo reboot

Rebooted into Desktop mode switched from Wlan to onboard Lan then got to "System Settings > Hardware > Additional Drivers". Dialog offers three:

Code:
Experimental AMD binary Xorg driver and kernel module
ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver (**experimental** beta)
ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver (post-release updates)

I selected "Experimental AMD binary Xorg driver and kernel module", Info on release notes says AMD catalyst version 1211. I know this wont work with oclHashcat* out of the box. Installed the driver and
Code:
sudo reboot

I found @dioxide's command to clean up the installed fglrx crap, fire up Terminal and
Code:
sudo aptitude purge "~i ?name(fglrx)"
sudo reboot

Almost there, no installation of X11 enviroment or development tools needed. Just

Get and install Catalyst 13.1
Code:
cd ~/; mkdir catalyst13.1; cd catalyst13.1/
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
unzip amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip

Do NOT try to build a dpkg and install the debs. That wont work cause we did not install the stuff needed. Instead run the Catalyst install script. Catalyst interface will pop up, just select the default answers and press the "exit" button but DO NOT reboot when done
Code:
sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run

Create an xorg.conf using amdconfig and then reboot
Code:
sudo amdconfig --adapter=all --initial -f
sudo reboot

Use clinfo to check everything went out ok. wget and p7zip your favorite Hachcat tools and enjoy. I don't understand completely why this worked out. Together with the beta I must have gotten some parts my system needed. Purging the crap and then installing Catalyst 13.1 did it then.
I'll go on and install Ruby for pipal, Dropbox and other fun and office stuff now.

@mods: If this is the wrong section posting in or you think this is technically too screwed up, just move or delete the post.

Thx a bunch @atom, @dioxide and all the other cool guys here in the forum - and sorry for my english
v.

Just ran the benchmark.sh, btw

Code:
vrposter@vubuntu:~/hashcat/oclHashcat-plus-0.14$ ./hashcat-benchmark.sh

Entire test will take approximately 3 minutes.
Your desktop may freeze during the benchmark (if you're not using SSH.)

Hash.Type......: MD5
Speed.GPU.#1...:  6777.3M/s

Hash.Type......: Joomla
Speed.GPU.#1...:  4920.7M/s

Hash.Type......: SHA1
Speed.GPU.#1...:  2400.6M/s

Hash.Type......: MSSQL(2000)
Speed.GPU.#1...:  2211.5M/s

Hash.Type......: phpass, MD5(Wordpress), MD5(phpBB3)
Speed.GPU.#1...:  2569.7k/s

Hash.Type......: md5crypt, MD5(Unix), FreeBSD MD5, Cisco-IOS MD5
Speed.GPU.#1...:  4408.0k/s

Hash.Type......: NTLM..
Speed.GPU.#1...:  9331.4M/s

Hash.Type......: DCC, mscashCredentials, mscash...
Speed.GPU.#1...:  4297.1M/s

Hash.Type......: SHA256
Speed.GPU.#1...:  1162.1M/s

Hash.Type......: descrypt, DES(Unix), Traditional DES
Speed.GPU.#1...: 74904.4k/s

Hash.Type......: SHA512
Speed.GPU.#1...: 85078.3k/s

Hash.Type......: sha512crypt, SHA512(Unix)
Speed.GPU.#1...:    14318/s

test.hccap: No such file or directory

Hash.Type......: LM
Speed.GPU.#1...:  1456.0M/s

Hash.Type......: Oracle 7-10gES(Oracle)...
Speed.GPU.#1...:   425.4M/s

Hash.Type......: bcrypt, Blowfish(OpenBSD)
Speed.GPU.#1...:     4617/s

Benchmark complete.
why bother with the dual boot when you can just run it in windows?
dual boot was due to a job requirement for the pc here, the gpu is my preivate hobby. what's more important to me cause I'm an old fart: i am so much used to the unix command line ,-) have been playing with windows cmd and powershell though. but you are right of cause.
I forgot to mention one thing. It's a good idea to have dkms installed. As @dioxide points out here (http://hashcat.net/forum/thread-1980-pos...l#pid11515) you should not run into trouble after kernel update.
So before installing Catalyst 13.1 I
Code:
sudo aptitude install build-essential dkms