Hash "formulas" seem to be missing?!?
Hey Everyone:

Sorry for being a novice here but I am completely stumped. I am running The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux (the most recent build) through VMWare Fusion on a late 2008 MacBookPro running OS X Maverick and am trying to use hashcat through the VM. I have a test password hash in a txt file formatted for hashcat but every time I try to run hashcat, it returns the hash-type # (in my case 1722) with the message:

1722: No such file or directory

my input is as follows:

hashcat -m= 1722 -a= 3 ?l --pw-min= 4 --pw-max= 4 /home/maza/pass.txt

Does anyone have any experience with this problem or know what I am missing.

Thanks in advance!
your syntax is jacked.

first, either remove the equal sign from each of your options, or use the long options and remove the space after each equal sign. second, your mask is also in the wrong location. it needs to be after the hash list. you might want to study up on getopt since this is pretty standard.

i also highly doubt that you intend to brute force a keyspace of 26^1, especially since you specified a minimum length of four, so you need to fix your mask as well. if you intend to do a minimum length of four, then your mask needs to be at least four characters long. maybe head on over to the hashcat wiki and do some reading.

also, performance in a vm is going to suck horribly. why not just run hashcat on osx without The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) and the virtual machine overhead?